Opinions please

I am looking for a weekend driver, I have found a 81 with 41k on it for 11,250, a 87 with 61k for 11,750, and a 1995 with 65k fir 13,000. All have automatics and clean carfax reports.
This is the price range I want to look in, as I want to pay cash, I am past my hot rodding years, so I don't really care which one is quicker, or handles better, as I assume it to be the 95. I just want something for the weekends, so, my question is, which one will give me the best reliability?
I have heard many on here say the LT1 is good for 200k miles, but there are many more systems on these cars then just the engine, so I hope this is the place to ask. Also, when you consider in the cost of clutch replacement, will a 6 speed be more reliable over the auto over the years. (really want the manual) And as a final question, I have read on other forums, many think the price of the C4's have bottomrf out, and are starting to climb.....is this true?
Thank you in advance

Carfax is not the answer on the earlier models and not everything gets on Carfax. A better choice can be made by knowing the car or having someone that does know them check them out.

Most likely the '95 will be a better automobile and much better fuel economy.

If there is a difference in the automatic and the stick it is mostly in the mind of the driver. One thing I've seen over the years is the brakes go away quicker in the sticks than they do the automatics. It may be said by someone trying to sell a C4 that it has bottomed out but the market for a Corvette is not stable enough to say it has done that yet.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

REPLY: The 95 will have a bit more technology to it , will be quicker, and have better gas mileage. The 87 id stay away from if its got the silly and unreliable 4+3 Trans . The 81 id consider if you like the lines of a C3 over the rather plain looking C4's but gas mileage wont be as good and niether will performance. Regardless of which you choose, Id have a good mechanic thoroughly check it out.
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 11:20:40 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Is there a list somewhere, of mechanics that know corvette's on who you can trust their opinion? I ask several owners at the last meet, and for each one, I received a different answer on you to use, and if one came with a recommendation, the next guy said to be sure and stay away from him. I am in the Kansas City area, if that makes any difference. Also, what would one expect to pay for an honest inspection on a corvette?
Thanks again
On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 11:20:40 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

The 87 is an auto also

Here is a link to the blue 95 and copper 87
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn98/nada56 /

REPLY: THe 95 blue one looks great. Love that shade blue. If you cant find out from this NG who a good Corvette Mechanic in the Kansas City area, then id contact the Kansas City Corvette Club and find out who thier people take thier corvettes to . Heres the website :http:// www.cckc.net/

The `95 is probably the best buy of the bunch, and the "better" car overall, but damn I like the looks of the `87 drop top. As a "Weekender" a Drop top would have to go to the top of the list.
Moderation is for monks."
Zombywoof wrote:

Agree -- weekends are better in a convertible!
If you opt for the '95 check and see if a frame cross brace (stock on a convertible, aftermarket on the coupe) has been installed.
Mid-America, R-D racing and others sell them. Or, salvage one from a C4 convertible that hasn't been wrecked.
This is a bolt-on. Change the fuel filter before you install it. You'll be a happier C4 driver with this. -- pj

REPLY: This might help too : http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3000/guide2.html
Spend a few bucks more and buy a C-5. It is more refined, rides much better and, IMO, a much better looking car to say nothing of the fact that it is more efficient in all ways (fuel, etc.).
LR

You think a `95 Coupe is better looking then an `87 drop-top? I guess that is why there are so many choices in life. Most people who but "Weekenders" are all that concerned about efficiency.
Moderation is for monks."
The 95 is better than the other 2 put together for quality & reliability. I own an 81 and think it is a dog.
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:36:46 -0700, "Speaker of the Truth"

Then why do you own it? Have an affinity for dogs?
Moderation is for monks."
Everybody owns a pitbull. no demand.
81-82 the 2 worst years. Engine has 4 fanbelts, eventually the crank breaks off. The electronics are stone age. And like all C-3's they are so front heavy the love to spin and therefore handle like shit. I wouldn't buy one from 81-93.
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 22:42:04 -0700, "Speaker of the Truth"

============================Lol guess you have no appreciation of simple cars...You are right about the crank breaking off all of my C3's have had that happen at least a half dozen times....
Seriously 81-91 I could understand... but why exclude the 92 and 93 you just have to keep the OptiSpark dry ???
Bob G. 64 72 & 98 Convertibles 76 & 79 Coupes
Get a sheild for the coil pack and make a drain for the water pump on the LT-1. The only Corvettes to collect at 67 and earlier.
"Bob G." <rg327_remove_comcast.net> wrote in message wrote:

breaks
I love my 86. I have owned a 78, 95 conv and my current 86. "Bob G." <rg327_remove_comcast.net> wrote in message wrote:

breaks