opinions please

new neon coming soon, its got 230bhp with fwd lsd setup and does 0-60 in less than 6 seconds....

and it cost about £12k new.....

it not the best looking car imo but it looks like a lot of fun for the money.

Reply to
Theo

for more info.

Reply to
Theo

I have trouble beleiving any FWD car can get 0-60 in 5.8 as standard! But then, there it is, 2.3 turbo, 230bhp, LSD, obviously the way forward....

Neons are fairly small as well, and thats cheap....

Reply to
Dan405

Hmm - it looks a bit tall, but I don't dislike the shape that much.

Reply to
DervMan

There are very few FWD cars that have a claimed 0 - 60 in under 6.5 seconds; those that do have big traction problems! The quickest in my Datasheet is the 6.2 seconds recorded by the Rover 200 2.0 turbo.

Reply to
DervMan

Which is in turn pasted by the Andy Nicholls MG Maestro Turbo, which pulls 60 in around 5 seconds thanks to a nifty traction control system (still FWD only).

Obviously not standard tho :)

Reply to
Lordy

Heh! Most road going traction control systems care more for tyre control than acceleration, and the Rover 200 turbo probably requires extreme brutality and several runs to lay some rubber down first! :)

Reply to
DervMan

Those brakes look *far* too small to stop a 230bhp car

Reply to
Fishman19

£12k is cheap as it's just under $20k I would expect it to be £15 or £16 here if not more, the 2.0 R/T with 150bhp is just under £14k the equivalent dodge is $17,895
Reply to
Depresion

There's no such thing as a good point to point car in a city. You have to work very hard to get much ahead of a reliant robin in a city because of the number of traffic lights and other bottlenecks.

Reply to
Doki

still looks like a pretty good point to point car. esp in city.

Reply to
Theo

i have a 230 bhp 220 T, believe me traction is a major problem, in that regard i prefer the 620 ti.

as is torque steer without uprated bushes. mind you 50-100 in 4th is very impressive :)

Reply to
LK

It also comes with a drag 'chute.

:)

Reply to
DervMan

Eh? Point-to-point in a city doesn't need huge amounts of power, it's of no genuine advantage, instead a perky automatic would suffice, something smaller too.

Reply to
DervMan

I see, I keep forgetting you lot r old...

Reply to
Theo

Aftermarket TC systems are a different barrel of halibut - the Racelogic system has an optional (fully-programmable) launch control.

Reply to
Jamesy

Looks like a very good buy to me ! Perhaps I'll get one to replace the TI :)

Although, the 5.8s to 60, is absolute rubbish. An extra 30bhp can't shave a whole second off your 0-60 time (given that equivalent machinery does it in the high sixes).

Reply to
Nom

What ?

point-to-point city car is something like an Automatic SMART !

Reply to
Nom

"In addition to the increased horsepower and torque, the 2004 Dodge SRT-4 features a new torque-sensing limited-slip differential as standard equipment. Developed in conjunction with Quaife, a leading manufacturer well known to performance enthusiasts, this feature provides more traction when accelerating out of the corners"

Quaife version of the TorSen diff fitted to the Rover Turbos then !

Reply to
Nom

I suspect that must be the result of gear selection - if you set the gearing so that 2nd will take you to just over 60 at the change-up point, then you save a gearchange, which equates to about .5 of a sec (e.g. pug

106 Gti). Also, I dunno if the timing would have been done with the normal full tank of petrol and two people on board (my 205 DT drops from about 11.2 to about 9.5 0-60, comparing 2-up+full fuel to 1-up, (nearly) empty tank)!!

Finally, they have gone for a pretty torquey setup, it seems, 250lbft (cf

171 lbft for the Ti), so it is probably equivalent to more than a straight 30Bhp increase.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby