Opinions Please

Hi all, I'm new to this group and would appreciate your opinions on the following.

Back in 1997 I had a 2 litre Xantia estate which I thought was a superb car. Unfortunately, when I quit my job the company insisted on me returning it to them :-( Nine years on and I've just pensioned off a 7 Series Beemer - bl00dy awful thing - and am seriously thinking about another Xantia; maybe 97 - 2000 vintage and preferably an estate.

So, here come the questions:

  1. Which is the best engine to opt for taking into account power, smoothness and economy - I drive about 25000 miles a year mostly on motorways. I will consider both diesel and petrol engines.
  2. What are the differences between the various models (SX/LX/etc) and are there any serious omissions from any of them?
  3. What should I look out for when going to view a car? Are there any common faults to be aware of?
  4. If you were in the market for a used car right now would you buy a Xantia again?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated :-)

Reply to
SteveG

I have it in a ZX, which is a smaller car than the Xantia, but the 1.9 non-turbo diesel is economical, smooth, and reliable; very easy to drive around town or in country lanes, but you won't shake off the cops if you need a quick getaway.

I shall certainly consider a Xantia next time I'm buying, if I have enough money.

Reply to
Whiskers

SteveG (_@_._) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Diesel. 1.9TD, 2.1TD or HDi, according to what you can find.

1.9's easiest to maintain, other two are smoother/faster.

v6 petrol is *gorgeous*, but thirsty and a maintenance nightmare.

VSX & Exclusive have Hydractive suspension - lovely, but more hassle to maintain - SX is everywhere, LX is pikey sales rep. Special editions are numerous and vary. Aircon should be damn near ubiquitous except on pikeyspec. Leather electric seats VERY worth going for, because they're a different - and better - shape of seat.

Where to start... Even the newest Xants are getting into late middle age now.

I'd probably look at a C5, to be honest.

Actually, no, I'd look at an XM - or even a CX - but I'm wierd like that.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for the couple of comments so far - points have been taken on board :-)

I'm currently looking at a 1997 diesel VSX estate which has had a Van Aaken smart box fitted. I've looked at their web site

but it just gives typical marketing/sales bumf. Anyone have an opinion on this modification?

Reply to
SteveG

The 1.9 non turbo was mindblowingly, unbearably slow in the Xantia. And expensive, considering the total abscense of performance. Utterly, utterly awful. I thought it was too slow to live with, and I drive a

2cv now.

siani (I also had the 1.9d and liked it in a ZX beforehand, though)

Reply to
siani

siani ( snipped-for-privacy@velvet.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The basic 1.9D isn't exactly a ball of fire even in the ZX - I can only imagine how sluggish it is in a Xant.

Mind you, there was a non-turbo 1.7 (BX/C15/Visa lump) in an XM on fleaBay a while back...

Reply to
Adrian

My 1.9D got a little more oomph after I had it serviced properly, but I agree that the acceleration at motorway speeds isn't going to break any records. For gentle cruising, it works very well indeed in the ZX - and if you have the nerve to keep your speed up on country roads then the handling of the car can see off some much 'faster' (and more expensive) vehicles. The Xantia is heavier though, so the turbo diesel would probably be worth considering.

Not everyone is in a big hurry :))

Reply to
Whiskers

Whiskers ( snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A few years ago, my CX was in dock for a week or so for a head gasket and a few other bits.

I got one of the 1.9D ZX loaners. It was flat at about 80mph when I picked it up. It was also VERY smokey...

A thousand miles in a week later, and not only didn't it smoke, but I'd seen north of 100mph out of it...

True, but...

Reply to
Adrian

The first time I floored the accelerator on mine (overtaking a string of lorries going up a steep hill on a dual carriageway - I was in 3rd gear) I left a shocking smoke-screen. Almost as bad as some of the lorries.

I haven't had that much out of mine, but I will admit to more than 90 if no-one official is listening; that didn't red-line the rev counter.

It's getting hard to find any road in the UK that isn't at least apparently under the watchfull eye of a speed-camera. I have a strong aversion to 'getting a ticket'.

Reply to
Whiskers

I have a 90hp Hdi in a '99 Xant - what an excellent car! I'd have probably gone for the 110hp version knowing what I know now but the 90hp is actually fine for all legal speeds and upto 115mph on the autobahn ... ;-)

dunno - I got a bog std Xant (SX?) it's got aircon and a rear wiper which were top of my list!

dunno - non that i've come across at 140000miles ... oh, the ABS packed up recently but it was just a wheel sensor (as prediceted here and by the chap in the garage ...)

yes - but I'd want a 110hp common rail diesel with the active anti-roll suspension - which was never an option apparently ... so I'd probably go for a diesel V70 as they dont roll as much as the Xant and handle a bit better ...

best of luck

drd

There are a couple of brochures here if it helps

Alan

Reply to
Alan Vann

Hi again folks. Firstly, a huge thanks for all the comments and suggestions - much appreciated. I've shelled out some of the hard earned on the estate I mentioned the other day. Very pleased with it so far and will become intimately acquainted with it at the weekend replacing the rear spheres.

Perhaps someone can clarify something for me here: just how many spheres are there at the back of a VSX estate with hydractive suspension - is it

3 or 4?

This newsgroup may not be as busy as others I frequent but the information is equally as good :-)

Reply to
SteveG

I had a 1.9D BX a few years ago and whilst not brilliantly fast was certainly adequate for my needs and good for 90+. The 1.9 TD Xantia didn't seem to be all that much faster and the economy was definitely worse, not by much 44 instead of 47 overall.

Eeuw, 0-60 in how many years?

Reply to
Malc

It was entirely liveable in the ZX, even if it wasn't going to win any races. But OH GOD it was slow in the Xantia.

Scarily, I saw that. I refuse to believe that it was capable of travelling uphill under its own power.

siani

Reply to
siani

  1. One for each wheel, one anti-sink and one Hydractive.....

Alan

Reply to
Alan Vann

Alan Vann ( snipped-for-privacy@u.genie.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No antisink if it's one of the pre-first facelift cars...

Reply to
Adrian

I have a pre-facelift with antisink, so there are exceptions. Mine was made 23 august 1993. Chevrons on hood and antisink.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

It's post-facelift with anti-sink ... so 4 it is. The previous owner tells me the hydractive sphere was changed last year so I may pass on that one this weekend.

Leads me to the next question: how do I tell which one is the anti-sink and which is the hydractive? Are they obviously different?

Reply to
SteveG

Well the OP said he was looking at 1997-2000 cars, definitely post-first facelift wouldn't you say? and maybe even post-second....

Reply to
Alan Vann

Antisink is the one that has a pipe bolted to it. If its in the car, the antisink sphere is right next to the height corrector and faces front-rear. Hydractive is up high, next to an electrical connector, facing left-right.

Reply to
Eduardo K.