Opinions please

Greetings,

I'm seriously considering purchasing the Maxima but would first like to hear from some owners on their experience; both positive and negative, if any, would be appreciated.

I have driven both the SE and SL and don't feel that much of a difference when I hit some bumps. I did notice a lot of torque-steer when I punched it on both models. I don't think this is too bad since I won't be doing this all the time.

Anyway, the car has lots of room and I like it.

Regards

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

What year? What mileage?

You can find some reviews on

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Since he's talking about the SE and SL then its a 2004 or 2005 model.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Ken,

I have a 2004 SL which was purchased in July of 2004. Have about 19,000+ miles and have had no problems. Just regular maint per the book. I have the moon roof rather than the sky view model. I wanted one that can open. I am very happy with the mileage (average about 24mpg for both city and highway), and the power is more than enough.

Reply to
The Vulcan

Hi, I have Maxima 02. I'm pretty happy with it since i don't really put too much efforts to maintain it and it still runs pretty well. But to repair it is a reall hassle and very expensive. I was told that TL/CL from Acura are more reliable but they're more expensive too. Maxima though has more fun to drive IMHO. In overall i'd say it's a good car but is not lexus in reliablity wise.

Reply to
Djavdet

Thanks.

Does it have torque steer? The 2006 I tested did but that was only if you floored it.

Reply to
NJ Vike

Thanks for the post.

Reply to
NJ Vike

I have a 2005 4-seater and it does torque steer some when you floor it. For regular driving I don't notice it. You are supposed to hang on better when you are flooring it anyway ;-)

Reply to
subc

We own an 04 Maxima SE 5sp Auto with sun roof. It was purchased new at the beginning of the model run (spring 03). This is our second Max (first was a

92 SE 5sp. We also have owned two Honda Accord coupes during this period (Currently we have a 96 4cyl EX 5sp. Accord Coupe). The Maxes have been significantly more reliable than the Accords. All of these cars were purchased new. Our 04 has had no issues that required any warranty work or any work at all.

Re our current Max, yes you can feel torque steer if you floor it, but given the large smooth torque band and the 5speed auto you will rarely have to. The car has authoritative power at any speed and almost any RPM. If you do floor it is wise to hang on not just because of the torque steer but because of the amazing increase in speed particularly in the 30- 80m/h range. Gas mileage is pretty good 22+ in town, 27 at 75m/h.

Negatives:

  1. Very large turning radius probably due to long wheel base (provides very generous cabin space) front wheel drive and 18" low profile tires. Makes maneuvering in parking lots cumbersome but gives you a back seat that is suitable for grownups.

  1. Noisy expensive low profile tires. With 32,000 miles on the V series Good years I am torn between wanting to replace them with something better and the cost of replacing them 0+ per tire. Replacement will probably be needed by 40,000 miles.

For reference until this August we lived in MA and all cars were driven in city traffic and in the far left lane of the Mass Pike.

Reply to
Dell

The 2004-2006 Maxima are 99% the same car with minor enhancements through the years. For 2006, they finally got the grille right;)You'll always experience torque steer only when you floor it. Since the drivetrain hasn't changed in these years, the torque steer issue will be the same for all of them.

You will find that any car that is pushing 250+ hp through the front wheels only is bound to experience torque steer. Look at the Acura TL, the Altima 3.5 and of course, the Maxima. They have all pretty much reached the limit of how much power you can push thorugh the front wheels.

I'm almost willing to bet that if the next generation Maxima has upped the ante to 300+ hp, as is usually the case, you will see a 4wd system on it. 300 hp through the front wheels would be downright dangerous.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Dell wrote: ...

The large turning radius is also due to limiting the turning angle in the CV joints. Because you own such a powerfull FWD car, those beefed up CV joints sacrifice turning angle in order to handle all that power. Oh, and if you could turn the wheel any more, the torque steer would even be worse.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Just like the Acura RL.

I'm willing to wager that Nissan will do this right after I purchase one :-(

Reply to
NJ Vike

Thanks. I think I'm sold on the Maxima :-)

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

One more question. Does the Maxima require premium fuel?

Thanks

Reply to
NJ Vike

Premium fuel is recommend for optimum performance (i.e. best power, mpg). The car will operate fine on 87 octane, but with retarded timing.

Here is my take on the matter: If you can afford a new Maxima, you can surely afford the extra $2 per tank to use premium fuel.

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 128k
Reply to
njmodi

I have found I get better milage using 91 octane gas. Enough to make up the difference in cost.

Reply to
You_Know_Who~

I guess I have options then. Great.

Is this new Altima with the 3.5 going to outrun the Maxima? I'm referring to this new one that has come out.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

That's a good question. I assume you're talking about the Altima SER. The Altima and Maxima are the same platform. With more creature comforts like NAV etc, the maxima will be heavier but both the Maxima and Alt SER have 18" rims, the Alt SER's rims are forged, therefore a wee bit lighter, so the SER should be faster, but only a little.

I would think that the Altima SE 3.5 would be fast, if not the fastest. Yes, it's 10 hp down from the 2 cars mentioned above, but it has 17" rims, less rotational mass to deal with, and nearly the same hp. The SE

3.5 comes with a 5 speed stick as opposed to a 6 speed stick that the others come with. The biggest advantage to the 6 speed is good mpg at highway cruising and better mid-throttle acceleration in city driving. In full out mode, though, the difference between the 6 speed manual and 5 speed shouldn't be so great, thanks to the beefy torque curve of the VQ35. Sweetest V6 on the planet.

It's a sleeper:)

CD

NJ Vike wrote:

Reply to