Whoda thunk it

GM is reusing the engine designation LT1 for their 2014 Corvette engine. Massive head changes along with more tweaking of the piston/rod design. Interesting intake runners feeding into large head ports between exhaust and intake valves that have traded places.(?) Valves were also cocked to make room for those bigger runners and required the long lost eyebrows in the piston tops. Not a huge HP/TQ increase maybe 450 with a 6,500 RPM red line/fuel-c/o. Like most GM engines it will have VVT but I still don't get a clear understanding as to how their system works yet.

Never got into the LT5 and only drove it twice and now the base Corvette engine makes it rather ho-hum. Plus it hasn't held it's King of the Hill position very well with the present push rod engine that turns out 22% more HP and this new one will be closing up on that gap at 11% in base form.

Reply to
Dad

When you find out how the VVT works, let us all know. I am curious if you get it on both the intake and exhaust.

Reply to
uncle_vito

Sorry about that, I should have said "Like most GM engines it will have VVT but I still don't get a clear understanding as to how well their system works yet." Since it is most like Toyota's they went the simplest way rather than the cam in cam or the more obvious DOHC. I think they spent way to much time building a system that will allow retrofit to the LSX engines but it does get close to 20% HP per cubic inch.

Reply to
Dad

I did get into some of the design criteria for the GM VVT and find the valve timing changes enough to be some of the reason behind the piston eyebrows. It's still a solid cam and only changes lobe to piston relationship, some of the other designs allow lobe to lobe angle changes. I'm sure there will be a number of these designs fall by the wayside as their benefits, costs, and durability will dictate their life span.

Reply to
Dad

Thanks for the update.

Reply to