1998 caravan ignition problem

Our Caravan does not want to let the key turn to activate the ignition. This happened several years ago and I took it to Dodge. Several hundred dollars later we got new keys and ignition. It is
happening again. Repeated trys can get it to fire and it is possible that turning the steering wheel helps altho it may just be the continued trying that brings success.
Any thought on this problem? Am I the only one experiencing this?
Dave
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:52:38 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

IF the steering is turned and putting pressure on the key-lock it will not turn. "Unloading" the lock by turning the wheel fixes this. If that's not the problem, fry some "Lock eze" colloidal graphite lubricant in the key cyl. DO NOT USE WD40!!!!!!
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 22:18:42 -0500, clare wrote:

What do you want him to do with the Lock-Ease once he 'frys' it? ;p
Sorry, couldn't resist! I am the MASTER of typos! My fingers are as fat as your legs.
I would also look at the key and see if it's worn, and HOW MUCH junk is on the keychain! People with everything attached to their keyrings wear down the key/tumblers a LOT faster than normal...

I'd caution against graphite around electrical switching systems. Might try silicon spray lubricant.
Might check with a local locksmith they are usally better and cheaper than the dealer.
NotMe wrote:

Common problem.
Local locksmith is equipped to re-key a replacement cylinder to your original key and will charge on the order of $80-90.

USE GRAPHITE in the lock. The lock is NOT the switch. Silicone lubes do not do much for the lock.

Graphite has a tendency to migrate and plays hell with electrical contacts. As to silicon lubes someone sure has NASA fooled ... for decades.

Well, I've been using coloidal graphite on ignition and other lock cyls since about 1968 and NEVER had a problem. I've tried using spray silicones and have NOT been thrilled with them on lock cyls. YMMV. You are free to use whatever works for you, but as a mechanic I always used the graphite and used it sparingly.