Dodge Neon and Chrysler Cirrus

Looking for a car for my granddaughter. Are there particular model years to stay away from if we get interested in a Neon or Cirrus?
Thanks for your help.

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:41:55 -0400, "DodgeDriver"

96-98 Neons had major problems with blown head gaskets. They were initially covererd under warranty with a re-designed HG, but I had one of the new ones blow also. Increases in engine temp were the initial symptoms. Also had water leaks around the taillight housing. Old gasket material became brittle. Easily corrected though with a new gasket.
I bought a 2000 Cirrus for my daughter. 84,000 miles - no problems. I've had it for 10 months. David

My daughter bought my sister's '98 twin cam. It uses a bit of oil, has a bit of rust, has been stolen twice, had one brake lining delaminate and jam up the rear wheel (in the middle of a terrible blizzard, non-the-less - I had to go pull the wheel, pop the shoes off, and drive it home with no brakes, in the middle of the storm) but otherwize it's been a great little car.

i have a neon it is a 1997 and we did the head gasket at 100000 the car runs great and now we have 258000 on the original motor and it will probly go another 100000 before a rebuild great cars

Actually if replaced by the dealer under warranty they are more likely to blow again then if done by an independent shop, as the flat rate guys had a "shortcut" to beat flat rate, and they didn't always get the surfaces immaculately clean.(the head didn't actually come OFF, it was just lifted)
The front of the hood rusts through on all neons and "cloud cars" in the rust belt - often while still under warranty.

On Apr 26, 4:41 pm, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

my neon has no rust on it i wax it all the time with liquid glass

If you find either of these with a 2.0 or 2.4 engine, either make sure that it was built in Feb. 1999 or later, or you can otherwise ensure that the headgasket has been replaced with the newer multi-layered steel one. This was a common problem with the early Neon and "cloud cars."
If you can get the vehicle's VIN, you can go to Chrysler's web site and check to see if there are any pending recalls. I have a 2000 Cirrus, and I need to get it in for the high pressure steering hose recall. I believe that the link is "owner services" or something like that.
If you are considering a Cirrus, you may wish to consider the Dodge Stratus and Plymouth Breeze too. They are cousins to the Cirrus. 2000 was the last year for the Breeze and Cirrus. Starting with 2001, the Cirrus was re-badged as the Sebring sedan.
-KM

years to

Thanks to all who responded to my we request. We are looking at the above models.

A silly question from a Neon owner in the UK - what is a 'cloud car'?

Cars with 'cloud' names; cirrus and stratus.

Cars on the JA platform: Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Stratus, Plymouth Breeze. The first out were the Cirrus and Stratus, so they are called "cloud cars".
I always thought the Plymouth version should have been called the Cumulonimbus, but apparently somebody at Chrysler thought that was too long to be catchy...
writes:

Me too! I always think of that when I see one.... Heh.