They don't want your trade. It's that simple. Take the discount and give someone a good deal on your van privately and come out ahead.

There are too many used GCs on the market - the lots are full of them, and the auctions too. (at least up here)

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

You could also try Carmax (if there is one in your area).

Reply to
jcr

Your trade isn't what they want to sit on their used car lot. That means they would send it to the wholesale auction. They can probably buy a vehicle like yours at auction for little more than the $3000 offered.

Trading in a vehicle is almost always a losing deal. People do so for convenience and take the loss. Sell it yourself.

In some states trade ins will save on taxes. In AZ for instance taxes are paid on the difference between the new cars price and the trade in amount. On an expensive trade in the savings might make up for the lower trade in amount.

Reply to
miles

Not in Maryland. Taxes are owed on the full retail listed price (even if you negotiated a lower price, you pay taxes on the sticker price!) Bum deal that it is!

Reply to
jcr

The logic in AZ is that sales taxes were already paid on the car being traded and the car will be taxed again when it is sold.

Reply to
miles

Chryslers generally have lousie resale value

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

'Till they are over 30 years old.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

So my mother-in-law just needs to keep her 1987 Dodge Aries another 10 years and she'll be sitting with some cash? It still runs great. Maybe it will last!

Reply to
jcr

Reply to
Dale_Peterson

Since it still runs good and has never been a problem for her, she plans on keeping it a while longer... No point in making it into a boat anchor just yet.

Reply to
jcr