interference engine?

is the 2003 dodge intrepid se 2.7L an interference engine?
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.dodge / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:06:42 -0500, "bencovaci"
Mabee the first question is does it qualify as an engine?

tipteedee
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.dodge / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
snyder.on.ca says...

I'll give it a half engine. That's what my neighbor's car feels like it has in it when I drive it. They had no choice on it though, it was bought by the place he works at. Free car, how can he complain?
BDK

Hope he's keeping the oil changed - oftener than most pundits would consider "necessary". That engine has severe sludge problems if maintained according to the "normal" schedule - and it is VERY unforgiving.

snyder.on.ca says...

It's gone, I forgot he just got a 3.5 Magnum to replace it recently. He only had it like 9 months. As soon as they hit 12K, they are gone.
My friend had a Ford van that sludged up horribly with dino oil really fast, I guess it had a 351 in it, can't remember. Ford ended up putting an engine in it about two years after it was made. It got synthetic after that, and finally rusted itself to the point driving it was like taking a shower when it rained hard. Right after they put a for sale sign on it, the tranny blew, and off to the junkyard it went. They got their money out of it, it had a whole lot of miles on it.
BDK
On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 00:57:16 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca, in an obviously impaired state, wrote:

Use of synthetic oils in that engine family has been shown to reduce the occurrance of seizure due to oil starvation.
--
Ray Sirois
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 23:26:38 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca, in an obviously impaired state, wrote:

I'm wondering how a 2003 2.7l engine is still running. Must have been garaged for the last three years...
--
Ray Sirois
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Nothing wrong with the engine. The same design has millions of miles on it in Europe. Most people do not adhere to the service info. They think as long as they match the oil viscosity, all is ok. They do not use the recommended service GRADE, which specifies oil with a high content of shear additive.

Most important is still to change the oil before it deteriorates. With some oils that is a lot longer than with others - With most north american oils it is no less than every 3 months or 3000 miles.

Thanks for the colorful insight, but maybe you should leave this question to someone who knows the answer!
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.dodge / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
By the way, it is an interference engine.