Problem with belt

Page 1 of 2
I have a 94 spirit with the 3.0, it has A/c (was working) My serpintine belt kept coming off, so I replaced it, well when I did I didnt replace the
A/c belt now for some reason my serpintine belt keeps coming off the back of the power steering pump pully like half way, I've checked the pullys and they all line up, I dont know what else to do. Could it be the fact I dont have that other belt on thats throwing off the balance or somthing? I do remember on the older 305s you couldnt remove the A/c belt because it would squeel untill you replaced it.
The serpentine belt on my 92 Caravan with the 3.0 v6 slipped a notch on the belt...took it into the shop and the replaced the tensioner - sounds like yours may be going out. Mine had also gotten quite noisy...or so I realized afterwards when the engine was suddenly much more quiet. :-)
Wesley

My tensioner isnt making any noise, just the belt keeps coming like half way off the powersteering pully, I can shut off the engine, put the belt on right and all of a suddon it just pops like half way off the pully.
My car had an A/C belt on it (vbelt) but when I replaced the serpintine belt I didnt put it back on, I'm thinking maybe that could have somthing to do with the belt jumping off.

You are having an alignment problem with the pulley's, more then likely the belt tensioner is at fault.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

know I've visually inspected the tensioner, but is there anyother way to tell if its bad

This is the NIASE Certified backyard mechanic... A/C belt has nothing to do with it. If you have more than 80,000 miles on the tensioner (and I would say you do), or it was not a dealer replacement part, replace it -J

Ok, well my idea about the A/C belt came from an older 305 that I tried to remove the belt from and it wouldnt stop squeeling or eating the belt till I replaced the A/C belt.
Yes, my car has around 92k on it so I am assuming its never been replaced yet. Like a lot of parts on this car.

I started having problems with this as soon as the snow hit, it seems like every little bit of snow I run through on the right side, the belt comes off. When I replaced the belt is when I noticed it doing this

"I started having problems with this as soon as the snow hit, it seems like every little bit of snow I run through on the right side, the belt comes off"
There is a TSB out to fix this problem and has been out for a long time. It involves installing a redesigned shield and retainers. TSB 07-03-94 Rev.A Quantity Part No. Description
1
**4673254** Shield
2
6030441 Retainers
1
**6035135** Screw
**AR 4612829 Belt, Serpentine Drive**
I dont even have a cover on the right side! I can turn my wheels to the right and see the whole crankshaft pulley and a/c pulley.
I took it to an auto parts store here locally and the guy check my tensioner by taking off the belt and moving the pulley side to side (engine to fender) and it has movement, I called the dealer and they said there should be NO movement or less than some thousanths of an inch, so bareley noticeable. Mine is noticeable.
Thanks for that info I will be calling the dealer back about that recall

remember its a TSB.....not a recall
most likely you'll have to pay for it. recalls you might not have to.

yeah I found out I have to pay for it, they didnt tell me how much though. I figure for now I can stay out of the snow, I found that my tensioner pulley is probally the culprit in this case anyways.

And that is why your belt is still coming off for 5 years. You think it might actually be your mechanic that is grabbing money from you? Your mechanic is so smart say's the dealer wants to grab money from you, yet you still have your belt falling off! OK! good advice!
-
Obviously you are such a smart person, why don't you tell everyone what the fix is. Oh! wait I see that this is also your first post on this topic. You must be just browsing to see if you post to make some people look stupid. Ever think that this is the reason some people will not post. I always believed that it was better to get as much information as possible rather than less.
Just to clarify my personal situation.
The dealer I bought the vehicle from is now out of business. The vehicle was always serviced at the dealer from the day it was bought until the day they closed their doors and went out of business. The next mechanic I went to changed the tensioner and belt but the problem persisted. The new mechanic I am currently using has come highly recommended and has not tried to do extra work on my vehicles to make extra money off me. Therefore I have no reason to not believe what he is telling me.
And finally I am sure every dealer is so honest and trustworthy that they would never try to steal or do work on vehicles just to make extra money off the unexpecting.
I am going to change the tensioner pulley dealer tells me there is supposed to be absolutely NO movement at all side to side (motor to fenter) and there is at least an 1/8 th inch of movement. I think thats all the problem I have. I have cleaned all the snow away from around the side of the car and I see were it would have thrown the belt off.

I figured out my problem, when I first put the new belt on I incorrectly installed it, I put it over the idler pulley instead of underneath of it and it rubbed on the motor mount, well I took the belt all the way off and put it on the opposite way and that cured my problem.

Is there a TSB out for the Caravan for this as well?? Brian

could be call your local dealer and ask the service department to check ur vin number.