upper (strut) spring seat moves when steering

2001 Chrysler Town & Country
vibration and noise near struts whenever turning steering wheel happens while stationary or moving watched underneath while someone else turned wheel
noticed upper spring seat moved whenever wheel was turned seat rubbed on part of body above it, causing noise and vibration
I am not sure exactly how the spring and upper spring seat should be attached and fit together. Should the seat move at all? If not, what must be done to ensure that it does not move? If so, what is the best way to stop the rubbing, vibration, and noise?
I had the struts done at a shop several months ago, but this is the first time I've had this noise and vibration.
Thanks for your help.
BBA

I would suggest starting by ensuring that the three mounting bolts on the top are tight. If they are, it could be that the strut has separated from the mounting tower. In that case, the strut will need replacment. If you have a FSM, and the right tools, you could take it apart yourself. If not, I would suggest taking it to a reputable shop that does strut replacement.
-KM