2005 Ram 1500 hemi lifter noise anybody?

I have around 29,000 miles on this truck bought new. I started noticing lifter noise at about 8,000 miles.

It isn't real bad right now, but my 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty will expire by the 28th of Feb.

Has anyone had this problem?

I also have had the cruise control engaged & when using the decel button, had it completely turn off cruise control, is that normal?

One more thing: Had both front doors re-weatherstiped as they were leaking into my pillar door grasps. Now the drivers side is doing it again (when it rains or snows.)

other than that, I love the truck! the Quad-Cab is pisser! I am still = on my first set of original tires, that so quiet on the highway! Not = great in snow, but livable!

So!

I'm curious, if anyone has experienced any of the above problems that I mentioned.....

Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect.

Reply to
Kurt

i don't have any specifics but i have seen two late model rams with hemis at a local shop that had the manifold/plenum pulled off the top and the wrench said something about bad cams on both. i believe both were under 50k miles but am not sure nor what the cause was.

i just did a google search on bad camshafts for late model hemis and nothing jumped right up. maybe i should start this thread down the toilet and say it must be due to that no account synthetic oil that folks are using, or was that dino oil, or was it the lack of oil? something to that nature... ;-) michael

Reply to
nunya

Yak!

I just set up a service appointment. Of course the first thing they asked was... are you using 5-20 weight oil!

I told them that yes I have, they said if you don't use 5-20 weight oil it will cause that problem...

I felt that, if that were so, all of my lifters would be making noise!

I am running synthetic oil on that beast after I did about 12,000 miles on it. I don't believe they know what they are talking about...

If all lifters were cranking out a tune, then I would say they may have a point! :D

& of course the ball joints are going now too! Thank God for the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty!

Say! Thanks for looking up the info on the plenuim/camshafts! I'll have to ask them about that when I go in to the shop on 2/20/08!

I'll let you know what they let me know, as soon as I know what the hell they are talking about.... :D

Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect.

Reply to
Kurt

Check & see if you can find anything on Hemi valve springs

-- Message posted using

information at

sqdancerLynn

The Hemi Tick is a common complaint. Most seem to feel its just the nature of the engine as it breaks in. Some 2003 and 2004's did have incorrect valve springs installed which caused ticking and sometimes the springs broke.

Reply to
miles

Miles, has the "Hemi tick" been fixed by 2007? I've got a 2007 Hemi going in my '93 Ramcharger and just want to know what to expect. tia

Reply to
BigIronRam

Well, if you are going with the 6.1 hemi you won't have that problem.

Reply to
Roy

I thought it had to do with the cyl cut out.

Reply to
Roy

Not sure about that. The tick doesn't seem to cause any problems. I know many with well over 100K miles on theirs and it's always ticked and no problems.

Reply to
Miles

Sounds like the old 318/360 pinging problems.

Never seemed to matter to the health of the engine. Just drove some drivers crazy listening!

SMH

Reply to
Stephen Harding

a member of my family owns an 06 quadcab with a Hemi.. they still tick.

Reply to
Roger Rabbid

Well Michael it looks like it is the oil causing the lifter noise. I didn't want them pulling a oil analysis on my oil & maybe void the warranty, so... I drained 3 quarts of the 7 in it & added 3 quarts of

5W-20W in it. I ran it for around a hour to mix it up. Guess what? No more lifter noise, isn't that amazing?

The ball joints were ok, they said that the stops for the turn to turn = needed greaseing, which I hadn't done, my fault.

Looks like all the problems were owner induced, dumb shit that I am.......

Kurt

Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect.

Reply to
Kurt

I thought about the 6.1, lots more power, lots more money and less fuel economy. None of that would have stopped me when I was younger, sigh...

Reply to
BigIronRam

Well, maybe, if I'm really lucky my hearing will deteriorate like my eyesight...damned old age...

Reply to
BigIronRam

I hear ya. I had one in the charger srt8, good engine, real ballsy, not that bad on gas on the highway 18 or so, but around town it was a killer. I couldn't justify it, so it went. In a ramcharger, I wouldn't want that gas bill.

Reply to
Roy

That's what the volume knob on the radio is for.

Reply to
Roy

Thanks, I'll do a search.

Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect.

Reply to
Kurt

Well, it has been about 15 days now & my lifter ticking is gone. My Bad! I'll need to stick with 5W-20W oil I guess, as much as I hate to be using that weight oil in the summer. But you do what you have to do, no matter if you like it or not.

I want to thank every one out here for all of the comments & advice. This is what I love about using the "usenet" groups!

There are not many of us that still use it, mostly the "old-Timers" from = when the internet first got started for the public.

Ya got to love it!

Kurt

Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect.

Reply to
Kurt

I looked at your link, surprised me that they mirror this news group. I'll need to be careful as to what I say for now on, as it will be searchable via "Google" or any other search engine.

I'll have to Google myself with my user name & see what shows up. I did that with my real name & only saw two items & both didn't make me look like some dope.

I have heard that future employers will search a persons name, to see if they are of "good character" Ya got to love/hate the internet......

Kurt