47RE failure update.

Thanks to all who responded so far.
Last I posted was that the transmission was not engaging. This was based on my experience when I was sitting on a hill.The truck kept
rolling back when in any gear.
Last night I tried to drive it again. This time I am on flat surface. When I press on the accelerator, the truck tried to move. It was like there was not enough power to move it.
Now what could this signify?
For those who dont know, it's a 2000 CTD.

What I learned from my whole process was that I honestly needed a FSM and a hydraulic pressure gauge on ports to read exactly what the transmission was trying to do and when.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/torqueflite-tom-hand.html
If I'm not mistaken, the basis for your transmission is the same as the old 727 plus electronics and the OD unit on the end....so the diagrams on the above listed website helped explain to me the logic behind the deal. Good luck and I hope a transmission rebuilder starts cruising this ng.
Sounds as though his rear clutch in the main transmission is gone. However, since the direct clutch in the OD is applied by a large spring, its possible that the direct clutch in the OD is shot as well. From his description of odd behavior, I'd bet on the OD direct failing, but the rear clutch in the main trans is a close second in my long distance opinion.
Has any of the electronics been checked for codes or failure?
--
Max

No, he said the OD direct clutch. Think of the OD unit as a two-speed transmission. There's one speed that's 1:1 - that's the direct clutch. The second speed is the .69:1 overdrive. That's the overdrive clutch. One or the other has to be applied to get power to transfer through the unit.

Yes, that's certainly a possibility. That's what pressure tests are for. Get a set of pressure gauges (100psi and 300psi), and appropriate fittings (they're all 1/8" NPT), and a service manual, and perform some pressure tests. After checking the fluid level, of course.

Not really. Minus the overdrive unit, and the electronics on the valve body, it's basically the same transmission.
Hey Max, could a blown TC cause this? My Nissan had the same problem and that's what it turned out to be.
"Max Dodge" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
A failed TC could cause this, certainly. But it would be an mechanical malfunction, since any "disintegration" of the interior would likely lock the TC up. It might physically shove the TCC closed if given the chance. However, if he lost the stator roller clutch, that might exhibit symptoms similar to what he's got. That would allow the stator to reverse its rotation, killing the fluid flow, and thus power transfer.
The first thing I'd do would be to check the hydraulics as TomL suggests, then check the pan for debris.
--
Max

I have looking for a diagram of the 47RE without luck.
That is a nice block diagram, but specific parts would help me so I can find out where the possibly stuck valve is.
Just now I went again and tried to drive it.
I bit a reving and it started moving and driving. I stopped after 10 feet and put it in reverse. Started slow like forward, but this time in reverse it was, I guess the best was to describe it was, jumping or lurching back, but it did go back and I stopped in original spot.
Tried forward again and it refused to go forward again.
This makes me really think some valve is stuck, but what I don't know.

Back in 1999 I fried an aftermarket torque converter in my '96 3600 CTD. The clutch material shredded and stopped up the filter. After it had been shut off awhile the shredded clutch material would drop off the filter and it would move for bit until fluid flow brought more clutch material up to stop up the filter again. Maybe you have a similar problem?