88 dakota tranny prob

I have a 88 dodge dakota with the automatic tranny without OD. First gear lags sometimes and takes a little too long to accelerate and shift into second gear but once it shifts, all the other gears are fine. I've changed the filter and gasket in hopes that this would fix the problem but no luck. I've been told it could be the retractor spring. What exactly does the retractor spring do? Any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks- Stumped

Amber

Adjust the throttle linkage and see if that helps.

There is no "retractor spring".

Reply to
Max Dodge

Does your trans have a band for 1st gear? If so, it might need to be readjusted.

Reply to
rich s