Alternator problem?????

I was about 3 miles from home. The truck said check gauges.

I saw that the battery gauge was over to 18 volts.

Everything seemed ok so I kept going as I only had a couple of miles to home.

Then I noticed my radar detector showing HIGH VOLTAGE. I unplugged it. Shut off the radio and lights.

A half mile from home the battery gauge started going down to normal and the warning light went out.

At home I checked all the cells in the battery. two were a little low. But the terminals had the green corrosion on them so I cleaned them up and used wd40 to oil them up and put them on.

Everything seems ok now, BUT, has anyone else had this problem??

Reply to
George Ewart

Sounds like your voltage regulator may be on the verge of crapping out. If I were you, I'd do something about it real quick.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

that's a pretty good guess, I think.

especially since we have no ideal what year make model or engine size the truck is..

Reply to
Chris Thompson

I've had my voltage regulator go bad. That was a pretty exact description of what happened. The only thing knowing model year etc. is going to tell is if the vr is a seperate component or part of the computer module.

Reply to
DonStaples

agreed that's why I said its a good guess. I never doubted the regulator problem.

been there on a 86 d100.

Reply to
Chris Thompson