Anyone having problems with fuel system with there cummins??

Page 1 of 2
Hi my name is Gary and right now I am looking for people that have bought a newer Dodge Ram(cummins), in years of at 2002-2005. In 2004 I bought brand new a dodge ram 3500 diesel. Eversince I've got in been in
and out of shop.I've had many problems with fuel injectors and all that good stuff. Now just a about month now, I brought it in once again because was running reallly bad. They said I got water in the fuel, (they said 33%water, and all us people that know diesels agree that a truck can run on that much!!!)but anyway, so they said my warranty is voided so I will have to pay between 7,000 to 10,000 dollars to get all new injectors, pump, lines etc. I know I am not paying it. This trouble is only at 36,000!!!miles!!! I always was a big fan of Dodge.Now they are down on the list of favorites. Their company disappointed me. They did nothing to help except be rude to me. They are no help and not just the dealerships are rude but the big boys are too. So please anyone out they that can help me???? Just e-mail back on the troubles you've had and the stories, and mileage happened...etc. IT would be a BIG HELP!! Thanks for all your time!! Gary

All that good stuff?

Well, I know diesels, and I won't agree to that. 33%? WTF? dump snow in it? piss in the tank? How the hell do you get the equivalant of 10 gallons of water in there and NOT get a water in fuel light?
Ya ain' lyin' to us, now are ya?

Oh, but you are, if they voided it because of water in the fuel.

Yeah, get real. Pay for your losses and quit whining. This is a help to you because it demonstrates responsibility on your part. This demonstration makes you a better person, and more likely to get respect.
Try it sometime.
--
Max

Max, That's a terrible response! Please read my comment, this problem could very well be caused by the lift pump. Steve

1) attitude and lack of facts smells like a troll.
2) Water in fuel with no light?
3) A claim of 33% water in fuel by the dealership is either totally bogus on someone's part, or the owner of the truck should have installed a snorkel.
4) The number (unknown, but inferred as many) of problems on this truck indicate a lemon or a history of abuse by the owner. See above why I fell on the abuse side of the line.
5) If this is not a troll of some sort, he's been horribly misled by his dealer.
--
Max

by pleading ignorance to the specifics he can avoid straight answers if called to task on his statements.

that was my first thought after reading his post.
to the original poster, please scan the dealer receipts from the troubles youve had in the past. cut out your last name and all personal information.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

well Max, My water in fuel light never came on at all. Even all the mechanics that worked on my truck said that they never saw anytype of light. My whole family has drove and my workers and they agree that they has been no light How was I suspose to know if there was water in it. ???Can you answer to that??
Also I'm not a whiner type,I am , lets say older man, with a family, and own business, so lets just say I get enough whining. I am done with their attitudes to me. I have not treated them poorly through this. I wouldn't be worried about this problem and dodge reaction to this conflict only happened to me. It hasn't. I have heard of number of people with silmar problems. Also I wouldn't be talking about respect, I can see you have very respectful ways of helping people.

Yup, truck will have a lack of power, and the water in fuel light will come on. If neither happened prior to damage to the truck, your documentation of such would be enough to arouse a warranty claim. You say the mechanics knew this, yet you claim the dealer to be denying it. Which is it? If both, Why ask us what to do, get a lawyer. The conflict you are presenting leads me to believe there are facts left out.

Then call a zone rep and your lawyer.

I do, when they come across as genuine. You did not, and still are not. You don't want help, you want legal advice. None of us are qaulified or stupid enough to give it online. Proof of your situation and the claim that many people are involved in similar troubles will not be found online; you will need hard copy to convince a court or jury. Thus, you won't find what you are seeking here. I suggest that you are intelligent enough to already know this, thus my conclusion that your request for help isn't exactly genuine.
--
Max

I have never asked for legal advice, All I asked was if there were people out there that had problems in the fuel system. Also it was great how other are helping me. Thank you all for your help, and kindness.
Gary, I feel very sorry this has happened to you. I cannot speak for others, but I also have an '04 Dually with 10,900 miles. I have had only two faults. I had a slight vibration on the clutch pedal and I got a new clutch at no cost. The second fault was an occasional misfire and a faulty crank sensor fixed that and gave me 2 mpg more. I cannot complain. The combination of Cummins and Dodge is unbeatable. This is the best truck I ever owned. Of course, water in the fuel, can happen to anyone at anytime. It only takes one tank of fuel, but the water separater/filter and sensor should have limited any damage. I would be more wary of low fuel feed pressure at the high pressure pump as the real cause. This has taken out a lot of high pressure pumps in the past. I installed gauges on the A pillar before I had 3,000 miles on the truck. My fuel pressure never was more than 7 psi and would drop to 4 psi under heavy throttle. By the time I got to 8,500 miles, it was dropping to 2 psi, so I felt I had to change my filter. It rose to 7 psi and drops to 4 psi now, but that is dangerously low. This is a design fault and I am busy buying parts to modify the truck so the high pressure pump doesn't cavitate. If the high pressure pump does cavitate because of lack of fuel feed, the fuel vaper and excessive turbulence in the high pressure circuit will trash the pump and injectors. Without gauges, you have no idea the problem is occurring. Secondly, the damage caused by this fault looks exactly like water in the fuel damage! I believe you can make a case for this. If Tom Lawrence reads this thread, I hope he also responds. Steve

Thank you very much for responding, you are correct about the gauges. The one little light that would of stopped all this damage,"water in fuel light" never showed up.the reaction from dodge has me stepping back for a moment, and saying wow. I'm not complaining that the truck wasn't a nice truck. It was a great truck, other than the problems. It power at the good times was awesome for pulling stuff. Yeah I know the water in the fuel didn't help, but the problem is I drain it and I didn't even get much water out of the tank. My injectors were bad, from the start, so the water just set those all off.
Large amounts of water in fuel have been attributed to the lack of vent caps on the fuel tank vents. Read through this thread over at the Turbo Diesel Register:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?t 5393
Thank you for all your help

I thought that problem was resolved with the 04.
Roy

I thought it was '05, actually. Could have been '04 ('04.5?)
That's the only way, other than a bad load of fuel at the filling station, to get THAT much water in a fuel system.
that the funny thing, it has to be that, because I've did water tests at all the gas stations that I have been to in last 2 weeks, and no water.I checked my tank too, and it tested negative. So I don't know. So was this problem a recall??

No, no recall.
Steve brought up a good point before about possible damage from pump cavitation. Did they find the lines rusted out, and used that to conclude that water was in the system, or did they just find damaged injectors and a worn pump?
In other words, did they really find 12 gallons of water in the tank, or did the damage they observed lead them to conclude it "must have been" due to excessive water?
Are using biodiesel??

no biodiesel,