Average V-8 Weight?

I am looking to buy an electric hoist for the shop and was wondering what the average weught of a V-8 was. They are rated 440lb / 880lb / 1 ton / etc. I don't think I have ever ran across the weight of an average long block. I would thinkk the 880lb would cover the engine alone w/o trans.

Reply to
DJ

If you're in doubt, go heavier. A completely assembled Mopar small block will go close to 800 pounds easily. A big block even more.

I would suggest a minimum of 1 ton ( 2000 pound) single line capacity and make sure what you hang it from is strong enough. I considered using the rafters once and an ex-friend talked me out of it.

Cost? Hey, it's your neck, what's it worth to you? your family?

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

In most cases the difference between the 440 lb rating and the 880 lb rating is the 440 is single line cable and the 880 is double line, the basic winch is the same.

The 880 will cover just about any engine/trans combo you'll deal with (small block Mopar is around 550, big block is around 650; add 150-200 for transmission). One ton is way overkill for engine pulling, half-ton is the most you'd ever need.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Yup, that should do it. Unless he decides to pull a Cummins. But they never break.

Roy

Reply to
Roy