A PROPERLY spliced brake line is safe. It entails double flaring the solid portion of the line, and using a proper flare nut and coupling to connect a replacement brake line of the proper type, size, and material. NEVER use compression fittings or copper tubing, and do not attempt it without the proper double flaring tool anf a certain level of expertise in its use.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Seems I heard about a tip on brake lines whereby a guy was using surplus solid rocket gasket material from the Space Shuttle SRB program.

Haven't heard the guy post here for a while however. Who knows we may be seeing the beginning of another NASA development that has application far and wide from it's original usage. Could very well be following in the footsteps of WD-40, or Teflon.

History unfolding here and now, regards, Joe.

Reply to
Joe Brophy

He said the whole brake line looks bad, why take a chance on it?

Ken W

Reply to
Ken

A properly spliced brake line is safe. If you have the proper tools to to the job. The likelyhood of the whole line being rusted and crap is there. might just as well replace it. Why would you half ass the job? you would just be going back under the truck in a month or two anyway.

Reply to
gunbunny31

I'm with the bunny on this. Why would ya go through the bs? If it is going away in one place....Imo it is easier to replace the line rather than attempt a splice.

Reading the op he would probably be better served sending the repair out.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

My brake line had failed in the same place That line is a PITA to "just replace" but is not all that difficult to repair where it failed. I can't speak for the OP here, but in my case, the line was ok (like new actually) about 1 foot past the bend where they "all" seem to fail so I simply replaced it from that point up to the manifold where it begins. If the whole line seems rotten, then I completely agree, replace the whole thing but doing that is not easy and unless you can somehow find a direct factory pre-bent replacement, you will still need just about ALL of the same tools and abilities that are required to repair it.

Reply to
TBone

did MOPAR go out of business?

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Not that I'm aware of so exactly what is the part #, cost, and availability of the rear line for that year RAM and is it pre-bent.

Reply to
TBone

That is not the point. The point was that the person I responded to made a general comment that any repaired line is unsafe and that is complete bullshit. As for the OP's line, since I didn't see it, I have no idea how bad it really is because sometimes they look far worse than they really are, do you actually know?

Reply to
TBone

There are some situations, where most of the line is protected, and/or in a difficult to reach position, where replacement is difficult, and repair is simpler, and adequate. I'ce replaced the last foot of full-length main brake lines on many vehicles.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca