central locking module

HI--I have a 2003 dodge sprinter. The cental locking button on the center console does not work. It lights up if a door is open but when the doors are closed and the lights go off it will not lock. The
remote has a fresh battery and when I push it lock or unlock the indicator light on the remote lights up red but no locking or unlocking. The only thing that will happen is that when the unlock button is pushed, the lights blink once and both of the turn signal indicators on the dash blink on once. Any suggestions. thanks