Dodge Durango - Max Tire Size with stock wheels?

I've got an '02 Dodge Durango 4x2 used 99% on-road as my daily driver. The original tires are shot and needing replaced.
I like the look of slightly larger, beefier tires, but considering
the primarily street usage of this vehicle and its lack of 4WD, I don't want to go to all the effort and expense I spent when I converted my Jeep from 30" tires to 35". (That project involved lifting the suspension, regearing, recalibrating the spedometer, and putting in a Chevy 8-cyl engine to push the bigger tires. ;-)
So my question is this: What are the largest tires I can put on my Durango using the stock wheels and suspension, and without modifying anythting other than just buying a new set of tires?
Never heard of that kind of Jeep.
<lambeth65 wrote in message ...

How bad to you want to kill your traction is a better question...
When we went larger on our Cherokee, our snow, dirt and rain traction went 'down' big time. We went from a P225 which is max OEM to a P235 which is one size larger than OEM and the wider footprint spins 'way' easier on snow or rain. We were 'not' impressed.
When I went from a 10.5" BFG mud tread to a BFG mud tread that measures a little under 8" on my 33x9.5's, I got a radical increase in traction.
I once put 10.5's on my Chevy 350 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive and it couldn't get out of it's own way on dirt without spinning rubber. I went back to OEM sizes before snow hit.
I would recommend you stay at the max that the OEM came in to keep the best traction footprint, especially in a 2 wheel drive.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

The difference between a snowboard and a pingpong paddle strapped to a foot comes handily to mind.
Mike Romain wrote:

FWIW I run 31x10.5 BFG All Terain ATs on my 4wd Durango. This is actually the stock tire size but for some reason they look "Big", lottsa favorable comments on them. You can sorta see what they look like here-
http://www.tantel.ca/Images/Tonka/TRAILER%20CRANE_1.jpg
True Story Time:
Last year we had a storm that dropped well over a foot of snow in the driveway. I go out & start up truck. Nosy neighbours say I'll never get through that without shoveling :(. Well, it takes a few trys but I get the truck moving & UP the hill to the road. Neighbours are frickin amazed :). Many comments on the Great Tires.
Then I notice I had the thing in 2wd :O.
These are Seriously Good tires.. Only down side is you won't get a lot of road mileage out of them & they start getting noisy when they've worn down a bit :(.
I do know you can't go much bigger than these without serious sheet metal work but I'd suggest having a look here-
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-184.html
& here-
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/f140 /
for people more knowledgeable of what can & can't be done,
Does the 2wd have torsion bar front suspension? If so a 2" lift will cost you the astounding sum of 50 bucks, details contained somewheres in the aforementioned sites.
Have Fun,
H.
http://users.eastlink.ca/~howarde/Tonka.html
On 22 Feb 2006 09:08:36 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

Howard Eisenhauer wrote:

-SNIP -

I've got 'em on my Wrangler and agree that they're terrific tires. Not cheap, but I'll buy them again and probably put a set on the Tacoma next time I need tires.