Stock rim and Tire size

I was wondering if someone could answer a couple questions

1) what is the stock rim size on a 86 fox bodied wagon? 2) what is the widest tire I could fit on the stock rims? I can get 4 brand new 215/65/14's for $100, but I don't know if the 215's would fit on stock rims, currently I'm running 205/75/14's. 3) would mustang rims fit on the wagon? ( thinking on either stock LX rims or GT turbine styles)

Thxs Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Snow opined in news:3xj1d.6606$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

As if anyone here would care.. go to a site that sells wheels, and see if they sell the same one for Fairmont and Mustang

Yes they would if you're happy with the 205's...may be a slight difference in tire height/mph indicated.. read up on tire sizing by doing a google search.

Probably.. and so would Fox Tbird and Cougar wheels... dunno WHY anyone would put those ugly turbines on ANYTHING And ten-holes WERE GT wheels up to 87.

Uh you DO know those are 15"?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yes I know those are 15''. And if I wasn't google illiterate I would have done a search and tried to findout the stock rim size, guess the stories about this group being for "elite" rustangs is true judging by your attitude. But hey my wagon is a 5 door stang.. :p

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Sorry... the smart-ass comes as price of the advice.

  1. I was referring to the GT turbines.. I thought they were ugly in 86, I still think they are ugly. YOMV

  1. As to the Google ref, I was referring to finding out how size affects profile and rim width, not what size fits fairmonts..

IIRC: 205 = tread width, 65 = sidewall height as percentage of tread width

  1. Advice still stands... if same replacement wheel part # applies to both fairmont and 2.3 models, then they are about the same in the wheel well

  1. I used a set of Fox Tbird wheels on a fox mustang, no problem

BTW... ever notice that two tires, different maker/model, the same nominal size can vary significantly in tire height?

Hope that clears some things up

Snow opined in news:_5D1d.9717$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Ahhhh ok.. yes I've noticed the difference between manufacturers products for the same "size" tires. Any place I could find out about the rim width?

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

would show you available tire and rim sizes for your car.

Reply to
Desert Lurker

Thanks ... I'll have a looksee

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Nope tiretrack was of no real help, first it listed different size stock tires (185's v.s. 195's) this could be due to them using a sedan and mine being a wagon. Secondly they don't list my wagon on their rim pages. Other then that it is a pretty good site.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Stock rims are 14 x 5.5" - there were some 14 x 5" wheels on some sedans but not very common... here are the wheels that were available on the LTD/Marquis Fox:

15 x 4" (compact spare) steel 15 x 4" (compact spare) alum 14 x 5" 14 x 5.5" steel, base 14 x 5.5" polycast plastic 14 x 5.5" steel, 12 hole 14 x 5.5" alum 14 x 5.5" steel, 10 hole 14 x 5.5" steel, 8 hole (styled)

So don't get carried away with wide tires on those narrow rims. Use the TireRack website for rim width recommendations.

The same year Mustang had the same sizes on base models, so the 15 x 7" rims should be fine for the inside offset, but I would check the outside clearance carefully, esp. w/ the rear wheelwells on the wagon.

Also...:

205/70/14's were on the 5.0 Fox... FYI...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Here is a small, but viewable pic - 15 x 7" 10 holes on a Fox LTD:

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

And here is a few of the 15 x 7" turbines on a Fox:

So I guess they will work...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Hey thanks for the info and links.. Im going to try and source some prices on those turbines. Guess for now I'll just replace the front tires with

205/70/14 's.

Thanks Aga>

Reply to
Snow

I've got a pair of straight (but a bit ratty looking) turbines you can have if you come pick them up (Ft. Lauderdale area). They've got old almost-bald Bridgestones on them, but they're balanced and they hold air. I also have a pair of 5-star pony rims (OEM from the LX) with somewhat decent tires (forgot what kind) on them. Also balanced and free.

I have 4 turbines on the LX now with somewhat decent Michelin Pilots, although I don't like them too much. They're for sale (can't give everything away).

BTW, that LTD looks real nice. It needs the 16" pony rims though. ;)

"Snow" wrote in news:wnX1d.5388$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Reply to
Joe