oil pressure

i have a 2000 dodge durango after you drive the vehicial for about 20 minutes the oil pressure gauge drops to zero then gose back up to 30 psi after a few seconds it will do that several times oil level is at the full mark i removed the oil pressure sensor and installed a manuel oil pressure gauge start the engin up cold and it has good oil pressure 40 psi after it runs about 30 minutes it reads 30 psi rev the engine to 3000 rpms it has 50 psi ran the truck down the road about 10 miles and the oil pressure started to drop and went to zero then came back up to 30 let the truck idle it was reading 15 psi rev the engine up and the oil pressure stayed the same after a few minutes the pressure dropped to zero let it set for a while start it up and i have good oil pressure again is it the oil pump or what else coul it be thks

Reply to
kalley

What motor BTW, I have read about these issues most had supposedly turned out to be the sending unit, since you don't have a sending unit anymore, I want to know what you find out, plus I will help look around the web if I had the info.

Mines the 4.7 v8.

Reply to
PlowBoy

This a 5.2 or 5.9??? Both of those motors have a history of the oil pick up screen getting plugged, especially if the oil hasn't been changed very regular. Your readings off the manual guage sounds like this is the problem. You'll have to drop the oil pan to get to the screen.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

it has the 4.7 liter

Reply to
kalley

it has the 4.7 liter

Reply to
kalley

4.7 liter
Reply to
kalley

If it any consolation, I will be finding this out soon (if the oil pickup screen is also a possibility). Not really soon but in spring...

Reply to
Plowboy7