2000 dodge durango 02 sensor

80,000 miles on my durango now. All of a sudden I got a check engine ligt. Code is PO-171 fuel system 1 lean. Changed the plugs the 02 sensors. Every thing was good for 125 miles. Then I got another check engine ligh on ,the same PO-171. Checked all sensors and wiring found plugs fowled out again. Changed plugs checked 02 sensors found upper sensor carbond up. Changed out and car ran normal again for 100 miles then check engine light came on. At this point I have changed iat sensor-map sensor - cat converter -3 sets of 02 sensors 3 sets of plugs. the only thing that makes a difference is changing the upper 02 sensor and it is a temporary fix. Black sutty smoke comes out the exhaust. So I took it to dodge they said the injectors are just over fueling. Had them replaced. Still not fixed. now what ?
Reply to
toby

Shep

my milage went from 17 mpg to 5 mpg the computer is trying to make up for the lean code by adding more fuel

Reply to
toby

Reply to
Shep

Which engine?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I have a 2000 dodge durango that had the same problem. Check the power steering sensor. After spending about $2000 at the dealer without finding a solution I found that the power steering sensor was the root of the problem. This appears to be a common problem with dodge dakotas and durangos. If your power steering sensor is bad you will find a film of power steering oil when you unplug it. You can go to the parts store and by a replacement for about $20. You will need to also replace the O2 sensor as it has been locked into a lean state, no one has been able to tell me how to get it out of that state other than to replace it. It seems like the film of oil in the power steering sensor shorted out the o2 sensor. Some posts talk about having to replace the wiring harness, I did not have to do that.

Reply to
macdad

I have the same problem and changed the ps sensor and 02 again and the lite came back on after 71 miles of driving. got me!

Reply to
manderson
4.7 po171 lean, dumps fuel. any suggestions?
Reply to
manderson