OT: motorcycle helmets

Hey gang, I know this is OT but I throw this out there to all that ride bike and even those that don't as I value the thoughts and opinions of most in
here, I have a question for you all about helmets.
Though my helmet was fitted properly, I still have a little problem with the chin strap, as it cuts down into my throat as opposed to being under the chin. It is so bad that it chokes me and I don't wear it.
I have been thinking about having the single under chin strap replaced with a double strap, over/under strap from a military issue kevlar hemlet. Having spent 16 years wearing one in the Army, I know how secure and stable then are when worn properly. Anyone see any feasability or flaws in this idea?

Take your Helmut to a motorcycle dealer, they should be able to fit you properly. Donut wear the chin strap around your neck dood.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply
Well, I'd expect an insurance compnay to jump at the opportunity to deny a claim if you modify the straps. While we agree other straps may be as good or even better....they'll use that to get out of a payout IMO.

As a devote coward that wore a full face helmet for years & years, I'd be hesitant to alter the strap as it might change some weird thing like stress angle or whatever.. Possible to add something like those things that slip over a seat belt to keep it from chaffing your shoulder??
Mac

I would take it back to where I bought it. They have probably seen the problem before and know how to remedy it. Perhaps a chim pad like the cops use would help.
beekeep
beekeep wrote:

Thats not a chin pad... Thats a donut duster!
JS

hmm... I always thought that it was a crumb catcher... Mac