Screeching, screaming, whining charge meter on 1988 Dodge 3/4 ton

The charge meter on my 1988 Dodge 3/4 ton (360 CID, carbureted) has developed a screeching, screaming, whining sound and the needle is buried over into the charge zone ("C"). Something else that developed after about

2 weeks of this, is the engine misses at idle and at low RPM when taking off, or shifting thru the gears when the RPM drops. It's a constant miss, not erratic. And it only sounds like a one cylinder miss. The miss goes away at about 2000 RPM and the truck runs fine. But the charge meter still screams and whines and sometimes the needle bounces about erratically, especially when I flick on the turn signals.

I took the truck in to the local auto electric shop and they checked the charge system and stated it was fine. He also said the charge meter's behavior was normal. I think, "hmmmm..." because it did not do that before!

Any ideas as to what is going on here?

I'm wondering if it might be a lifter causing the miss and that I may have 2 problems here, the other being electrical. Would a collapsed lifter cause a ticking sound, or would it not?

-Steve

Reply to
Steve