Starmotor problem ??

Check this out..
I have problem starting my Dodge RAM VAN B250 - 87
It started this morning, and then after shutting it down I could not start it again.
The symthom was like a weak battery. Using start cables it did not help at all. It was like the extra power did nothing and the startmotor could not be able to turn at all. Like the battery is out.
Im thinking of changing the startmotor ? What do you think ?
// Mattias
Could be lots of things, starter, ign switch, start relay, have you applied 12v direct to starter to see if the starter works ??
Not yet, with extra battery connected it was still very weak and could not turn the motor.
Where is the startmotor located ?

ok, its out now. Lets see if I could find the problem.

Mattias wrote:

Mattias, The starter is mounted to the front of the transmission, on the driver's side, near the bottom.
A voltmeter (even a cheap one) is your friend. If fully charged, the battery terminal voltage will be around 12.6 volts. It's telling if the voltage is ~2 volts low (shorted cell)... cranking will be slow at best, and jumping from a good battery may not work.
Bad connections will "drop voltage" across them, proportionate to the current thru them (the current thru the starter can easily exceed 100A). While cranking, measure ACROSS each connection -- there should be very little voltage drop... less than a volt across each connection. If you find one that measures high, you've found the problem. The ground side of the battery is as important at the positive side too! Oxidized connections to the battery are very common, and if not too bad, can be cleaned with a wire brush. Wire brushes that are intended to clean copper plumbing pipe work well. If the oxidation is heavy, you may need to scrape them first.
Bryan

Thanks Bryan,
I have 11,5 V at the startmotor + connection and the motorblock as ground.. The cables is not the freshest and I have removed tha startmotor and charging the battery.
Im thinking that the battery is not being charged as it should ? (I have had electrical problem half a year ago.) Also the relay for the startmotor is to be checked ?
Electrical problem sucks.. not so easy to see where it is..
// Mattias

Also check the condition of the battery cables. Cut back a little insulation on the negative cable at the post mount, and if you see any powder and greenish corrosion on the copper wires, replace the cables. I've had bad cables give me starting problems before. HD