torque converter

Hi All,
What's the symptoms if a torque converter is not properly functioning in a 90's 2500 diesel?
If you wanted to replace your torque converter, is there a particular
brand that that gives the best performance or do people usually use factory parts?
Tim
Tim wrote:

Check these guys out: http://www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/torque_convertor.htm
--
Ken

I used DTT in a 2K 2500 and was totally happy with it. I went with the convertor and the trans, it was like a new truck.
Roy

Partial loss of power to the drivetrain... sluggish off the line... if removed and shaken back and forth, it'll sound like a tamborine

DTT - $750 (http://www.dieseltrans.com ) BD Power - $615 (http://www.bd-power.com ) TCI - $509 (http://tciauto.com ) Mopar Performance - $240 (http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/trans.html )
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:01:12 +0000, Tom Lawrence wrote:

Wow. Has anyone done a price/performance analysis of the various brands?

Don't even consider the TCI and MP offerings, these are high-stall converters, the last thing you want behind a diesel. (In fact none of theirs will fit the diesel)
By reputation the DTT is probably the best.

TCI part# 142250 - "1998-95 Dodge Cummins Diesel A518 non lock-up"
That won't fit?

Probably so... but why spend the extra money on a beefed-up TC designed to hold 600HP for an otherwise stock truck/transmission?

But while it's apart.......It may not stay stock.
Roy

Right... I must have missed the part where he said he wanted to build up his whole transmission :)

No, I was going on the part where he said "brand that gives the best performance". Figured he had plans.
Roy
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:08:03 -0500, Roy wrote:

I was looking for the best price/performance value. My main interest is trouble free operation with highest fuel mileage available. I really don't know very much about this right now. Just trying to get educated.
I really appreciate all the info from you folks.....

Because the stocker isn't up to the task?
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:53:19 +0000, Tom Lawrence wrote:

Am I reading this right -- you would use a torque converter the would *not* lock up in a diesel application? It makes sense to me that a converter would lock up at cruise speed.
Is this incorrect for a diesel??

It has nothing to do with a diesel... I'm not sure if '92 had a LU or non-LU TC. Of course a LU converter is better, but if your transmission wasn't designed for one, you'll have no way of getting it to lock up (or even fit, for that matter).
And now that I look back.... where in the heck did I get the idea that you had a '92?? You actually didn't specify a year, but since you said it was a 2500, that should have automatically signalled at least a '94 (hint: it helps if you're specific about a vehicle - otherwise people start ASSuming things... some of us laugh at ourselves for being asses, others reach for a cross and a hammer...). I was an ass... oops :)
At any rate.... yeah, you definately have a lock-up TC. In that case, it's a different part number, and about another $15.
My point in all this is to call around... don't just go right for "the best" just because it's "the best" (and I happen to think the best torque converters are purple in color - but that's just my own brand-bias, and I'd never recommend a $1400 TC for a stock transmission)... no need to buy a Diablo when a Charger will fit the bill.