transmission

Hello All,
FIrst off I am new to the Dodge brand so you will have to excuse the newbie questions. I have a 1998 Ram 1500 (5.2L, 4X4) that has
tranny problems. My question is....will a tranny out of a 1997 ram 1500 (5.9L, 4X4) bolt up to my engine? Thanks for the help!

Yes. Be sure to use your flex plate and the good transmission's torque converter. Also check to be sure the wiring on the 1997 isn't a 46RH that was a left over, since yours is a 46RE and requires computer control. If the wiring is the same, the trans will be a bolt in for your truck.
--
Max

Can you tell me what the difference is with the wiring...I have not removed the tranny from the 98 yet so I do not know what to look for.
Max Dodge wrote:

The 46RE will have a wiring harness leading to the body of the trans above the pan rail, one on the pan rail (or close to it) and one on the tail shaft.
The simple method here would be to compare what is in your truck with what you are getting, if the wiring is the same, then its an easy swap.
--
Max

Both should have an 8-pin, round connector on the driver's side of the transmission, as well as a three-pin flat connector just below the round one (this is the park/neutral switch), and a two-pin square-ish connector on the back of the transmission (this is the output speed sensor). You can be sure that your '98 transmission (if it's original to the truck, that is) has the above connectors. Just make sure your '97 matches up (it should - the RE's started being used in the '96 model year, but stranger things have happened).
========cerbie wrote: