1996 Brava intermittent drive problem

I've got an intermittent problem with my 1996 Brava which I'm trying to pinpoint. Here's what happens:

I can drive the car normally for about 30 - 40 minutes with no problems at all. But when I stop at a junction then pull away again the engine will rev but there'll be no drive unless I let the accelerator out a bit at which point the engine picks up again. If I then stab the accelerator again the engine will rev but no drive unless I let the accelerator out a bit again. This will go on for about 10 minutes at most and then the car will return to normal. Sometimes it will do it for a couple of seconds after I've been in the car for about 10 minutes but I can almost guarantee that it will happen at 30 - 40 minutes into my journey when I pull away from a junction. In fact there's one stretch of road that I drive along at 35 minutes into a journey that it will always do it on! There's no strange noises when it does this. Everything else seems to be ok on the car although I did notice the temperature gauge needle jumping around erratically when I'd stopped at a level crossing earlier. Also, about 3 months ago the fuel injection warning light came on about 3 times in one week but that hasn't happened since.

I've tried to make the clutch slip to see if that was the problem but that seems to be ok, at least when the car is running normally. It doesn't lose drive when I'm driving the car at a steady speed. It seems that the trigger for the problem is when I pull away from a junction and go up the gears and only within that 30 - 40 minute window and even then only last for about 10 minutes at most.

Anyone got any ideas as to what it could be? :)

Reply to
CHris_W

just scrap it and buy a proper car

Reply to
Mindwipe

Hmmm sounds like it has to be the clutch......

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Scrap a 96?!?

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Yep, you're right. It is the clutch slipping. I initally thought the clutch was slipping only to be told by someone who supposedly knows more about cars that it couldn't be because if it was slipping it would do it all the time. I took it to someone who really knows about cars yesterday and he proved it was definitely slipping. Looks like I should have more confidence in my diagnosis in future!

Reply to
CHris_W