Fiat Tempra No Spark!

I am becoming increasingly desperate and need help!
I have a 1990 Tempra 1.6 which I keep as a íspareí, and now the gearbox has failed in my main car so I need to use the Tempra. The
battery was flat as it hadnít been started for a few months (it was running fine before that) so I put a new battery on it, but couldnít get a spark from the ignition although the starter was cranking nice and fast. My mechanic suggested a new coil, so I have replaced this but still have no spark whatsoever. I have tried all of the leads, the distributor cap, rotor arm and everything obvious but still cannot get the vehicle started.
Any ideas welcome.......please!
‚úĖ

Simple - it's the crank sensor. On the back of the gearbox is a small, elliptical shaped piece of plastic held in with 2x 10mm bolts. From this there is a cable which connects to a square connector near the battery. Remove this, and if you have a multimeter, measure the resistance of it. On mine, as it warmed up the resistance increased constantly until it went completely open circuit, at which point there was no spark. This seems to be a very common fault, and whilst it is a small enough component, it is quite expensive (I was charged around 40 english pounds for one).
Hellraiser.........>
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
"Hellraiser" wrote:
> > >I am becoming increasingly desperate and need help! > > > > I have a 1990 Tempra 1.6 which I keep as a íspareí, and now > the > > gearbox has failed in my main car so I need to use the > Tempra. The > > battery was flat as it hadnít been started for a few months > (it was > > running fine before that) so I put a new battery on it, but > couldnít > > get a spark from the ignition although the starter was > cranking nice > > and fast. My mechanic suggested a new coil, so I have > replaced this > > but still have no spark whatsoever. I have tried all of the > leads, the > > distributor cap, rotor arm and everything obvious but still > cannot get > > the vehicle started. > > > > Any ideas welcome.......please! > > Simple - itís the crank sensor. On the back of the gearbox is > a small, > elliptical shaped piece of plastic held in with 2x 10mm bolts. > From this > there is a cable which connects to a square connector near the > battery. > Remove this, and if you have a multimeter, measure the > resistance of it. On > mine, as it warmed up the resistance increased constantly > until it went > completely open circuit, at which point there was no spark. > This seems to be > a very common fault, and whilst it is a small enough > component, it is quite > expensive (I was charged around 40 english pounds for one). > > Hellraiser.........>
Many thanks for the advice - this is something nobody else (even my mechanic!) has suggested - I will get on the case tomorrow!
‚úĖ
"PhilC" wrote: > Many thanks for the advice - this is something nobody else > (even my mechanic!) has suggested - I will get on the case > tomorrow!
**Update**
I think I found the sensor......Top right of the gearbox at the join with the flywheel end of the engine. It has a dirty white cable leading up to a connector by the battery which then goes off into the loom.......I think thatís it anyway as havenít been able to lay my hands on a manual. Also I donít have a test meter to hand so I have not disassembled the thing until I am able to test it!
‚úĖ

Yep, that's the one - dead easy to remove, just make sure you remove the sensor and NOT the bracket that attaches to the block.
Hellraiser.........>
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

Did you fix it then?