86 IROC Project Car - Upgrade existing 305 or put in 350?

Hi all,
I'm new to this group, and have a couple of questions.
I just picked up an 86 Camaro project car with a 305 in it. The engine has about 150K miles, and the poor car has been neglected and
runs poorly. It has poor acceleration and the transmission doesn't shift very smoothly. It needs some work.
Question is, should I stay with the 305 and rebuild it with performance parts or just go to a 350?
I don't really need it to be a rocket, just a self respecting Camaro will do. I plan on opening up the air intake and exhaust a bit to help it breath a little better, but I don't plan on taking it to the track.
If the 305 rebuild is a reasonable option, are there any rebuild kits that you would recommend?
Any other suggestions? Should I consider some suspension upgrades?
No substitute for cubic inches.
If you are going to rebuild a motor anyway, pick up a solid, rebuildable 350.
You will spend the same money on the rebuild and have better torque and HP at the end.
Just my .02
CCC
<Jim> wrote in message

snipped-for-privacy@CCC.Net says...

I agree. I spent a lot of money on my 86 305 Iroc's upgrades and while it got pretty quick, the same money tossed into a 350 would have been much better spent. A friend's 87 350 T/A with almost exactly the same mods was a lot quicker, and got almost exactly the same milage.
After I sold it, it soon blew a head gasket, a common 305 ailment. Go with the 350, if at all possible.
BDK

You guys are trying to piss my wife off - aren't you.
What can I expect to pay for a 350? Is used a safe road, or just go for the crate engine?

My one friend got a 4 bolt 350 complete with the intake, that had a spun bearing, but was otherwise in great condition for a couple hundred bucks. The crank was ok, so he reused it, but replaced the heads with aftermarket ones (one had a crack) and sold the one good head and intake for a decent price. A good hot tanking and the block was ready to go.
If you go used, make sure you check it out completely. If you don't have any way to put it together without paying someone, I would go with a crate engine, just for the warranty. A friend's dad swears by the Jasper replacement motors. He uses them sometimes for his work trucks. They pop a new motor in, send the original to a local guy to rebuild, if it can be, then it goes in the next truck that needs one. If they get short on spares, they call Jasper. That way he never has a truck down for long.
BDK