88 formula 5.0 tpi - need help with code interpretation

The other day out of the blue , my 88 Formula FB started running rough and woudn't idle right. The RPMs are all over the place at idle and it hesitates and
surges at speed. The check engine light is on of course. I extracted a code 41 from the ECM which my manual says, for the 5.0 TPI, is "Cylinder Select Error / MEM-CAL". Is my PROM shot or is there something else I can check first ? I'd really appreciate some help from one of you knowledgeable people out there. Specs are : 1988, 5.0L TPI, Manual Trans, VIN (F)
TIA for any help ! - Tom -