Need help with '97 Passat VR6:fault code interpretation

......My Passat is coughing up a P0406 (16790) fault code. I know that this has *something* to do with the EGR system,but I'm not sure exactly
what. Could the secondary air pump be involved? Any thoughts? Thanks for any info!!!
secondary air pump has nothing to do with the EGR. You may have a EGR valve that is sticking or not being activated by the ECU. Some EGR valves had a temp sensor and that's how the ECU knows the EGR valve was opened. I would remove the EGR valve and see if it's or the passage ways are plugged.

Thanks for the reply! I will check the EGR and report back.(by the weekend)

Don't know how much this helps: P0406 -> Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit High per http://www.iequus.com/obd_def.asp
Ray