Need to remove a Firebird decal

Do you guys know of anything that will take the Firebird decal off without damaging the paint? The paint is ok but the decal on the hood looks pretty bad.
Tnx, Kerry
kmiller wrote:

    Heat Gun, a plastic bondo spreader, and allot of breaks. Charles
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 08:23:31 GMT, Charles Bendig

And something new that a couple of people I've talked to is called an eraser. Soposedly you just put the devive in a drill and it rubs the offending decal off without damage to the paint. I use a heat gun myself, but only because I have one on hand.
RSCamaro wrote:

    Those erasers can and will damage paint. It's rather easy to burn thru the paint. Best methiod is a heat gun. Charles
Actually the "eraser" if used properly would work way better than a heat gun. Problem is, some folks try to use them dry or start in the middle of the decal. Squirting some soapy water on the surface not only will keep the eraser from heating it will actally cause the decal to peel up easier and cleaner. Start at an edge and work it off. it will peel it off easily. Someone using a heat gun for the first time will invariably overheat the surface and cause more damage than anything else could. Plus all too often if you heat the paint you can cause it to lift and lose it's bond to the metal or primer underneath.

FBR wrote:

Thanks, guys, sounds like a project... I know there used to be some stuff you could spray on and it would melt the adhesive but I've been afraid it would damage the paint. Guess I better stick with the elbow grease method. Hey, it's my kid's car, maybe I'll put HER to work on it!
Tnx, Kerry
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 22:53:22 -0600, Kerry Miller

3M makes thge stuff you are thinking of. I think that the name on the can should be decal and adhesive remover. I've used it in the past to remove a vinyl top off of a 75' Camaro. It does a fine job, doesn't hurt the paint but takes time to soak in and soften the adhesive so you have to be patient. The thing about the paint surface under the decal is that it shpuld be like new so painting is almost always needed to make the part the part of the rest of the car.
Ron -- 68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
kmiller wrote:

I've tried the eraser. Try a heat gun. I've tried the stuff that's supposed to dissolve the decal and the glue, and in the end I just sanded the mofo off and repainted the area. (ok, so it was a race car, but for a street car I'd probably do the same thing, I'd just something a little finer than 30 grit.)
I honestly don't think I have the patience to spend 30 hours peeling a Firebird hood decal off an inch at a time. I'd probably use paint remover to strip the whole hood and start over.
Ray
ray wrote:

    If your going to strip a hood to bare metal, media blasting works much better. Paint Stripper can be a hell of a mess, and on some paints, won't disolve them properly. Had it happen to me before. I ended up going down to 40 grit on a DA and it took forever. That stuff made the paint like burned plastic. Charles
We used to use the 3M stuff all the time in my dads shop. In the early 90's, many of the Chrysler mini vans had the woodgrain sticker on the entire side of the van. Had to get the stuff off just to do the body work.
We also used it to remove many stickers for customers. Many of them would want us to remove the dealership stickers that had been placed on the rear of their vehicles. I am sure this stuff would work great on your decal.
Charles Bendig wrote:

Will VanderToolen wrote:

    The worst decals to remove are service vehicale decals & vynail graphics. I tend to do this rather often. Since I buy old fleet vehicles at auctions and resell them. The worst are old police, fire, or city vehicles. Where the same decales have been removed and reapplied many times do to body work (usually by the lowest bidder). Charles