What to do with Firebird

I'm putting by Firebird back on the road next year after it's been sitting for 10 years.

My question is - what can I do with the Pontiac 350? Would boring it .030 over with head work/cam/headers get me over 300 HP with that motor. It's only 170 HP stock. Would I be better off getting a 400 and building it?

Reply to
unix-freak

Go with a Small Block Chevy and Turbo 350. Wanna build it for HP, this is the easiest and cheapest way to go!

Good Luck! Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

I've got a Borg Warner Super T-10 4 speed that I want to keep so that's not really an option for me.

I'll probably do everything that I mentioned plus change the intake manifold and carburator. I've got a rochester q-jet now. As far as the head work, I'm thinking I'll come out cheaper just finding some 455 heads.

Reply to
unix-freak

455 heads won't fit on a pontiac 350. You need a 400/455 block for the use of these 455 heads. With the added weight of the 455, you would be advised to go to the SBC 350. You can keep your T-10. I'm not sure if you can use the same bellhousing, but they can be found too.

Good Luck! Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

I don't really know how far you can take a Pontiac 350, power-wise. Certainly it could be built into a stout engine, but a Pontiac 400 or

455 isn't really any heavier and has a LOT more power potential. The down side is that you can't walk into Eckerd Drugs and find Pontiac engines next to the Q-tips like you can Ch*vy engines. ;-) But they're no tougher to find than Mopars, and that's what I do. Not that hard at all. Don't cave in to being a cheapskate and drop a Ch*vrol*t engine in there. Keep it Pontiac powered!
Reply to
Steve

|unix-freak wrote: | |> I'm putting by Firebird back on the road next year after it's been |> sitting for 10 years. |> |> My question is - what can I do with the Pontiac 350? Would boring it |> .030 over with head work/cam/headers get me over 300 HP with that |> motor. It's only 170 HP stock. Would I be better off getting a 400 and |> building it?

I agree, if it's original you ought to try to keep it that way. Should be able to get 1 HP/cubic inch pretty easily. I'd sure try to find an FI system for it. A supercharger or turbo kit might be your best route.

Otherwise, the V6 turbo was used on a few of the 3rd gen F-bodies. | | |I don't really know how far you can take a Pontiac 350, power-wise. |Certainly it could be built into a stout engine, but a Pontiac 400 or |455 isn't really any heavier and has a LOT more power potential. The |down side is that you can't walk into Eckerd Drugs and find Pontiac |engines next to the Q-tips like you can Ch*vy engines. ;-) But they're |no tougher to find than Mopars, and that's what I do. Not that hard at |all. Don't cave in to being a cheapskate and drop a Ch*vrol*t engine in |there. Keep it Pontiac powered! | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

I will definitely keep a Pontiac motor in there. I used to have a `73 Grand Am with a 400. I sold it 6 months after I got my Firebird - back in `87. I still kick myself to this day that I didn't snatch that 400.

I'll probably see if I can't find some Grandma's Grandville or something.

Reply to
unix-freak

Sure they will.... All pontiac v-8 blocks are the same block...well almost exactly the same block. The 350P really isn't worth building.... I have had several 400's that would lay waste to 455's on the street. I think you should go for the most cubes you can get...but if you run across a good deal on a 400 go for it ....not that much difference. Don't fall for the "068" stock 400 cam stuff. WAy to lame.... A rebuild with .030 over forged pistons, top moly ring is fine. Get some higher compression heads. Stay away from 4x and 6x if at all possible. They need to much machining to make good. A set of 12s are my favorites...16s are good too. Use a good intake( harder to find) I used to have an Edlebrock P4B performer. I don't believe Edelbrock makes anything but a torquer..You just don't want one that is spec'ed for high mid and high rpms. Since Pontiacs are not high rpm engines they are low to mid rpms torque monsters.

I like Lunati cams...they make a .245/.255 @.050 dur .510/.530 lift that is excellent ....you will have to use new valve springs and mill the valve pocket to get the correct installed height. But it is worth it! Use some 4 tube headers I think hooker number is 4901 or 4109 for internmediat cars. Run a 750 double pumper holly for speed and power..unless you just have to have an original looking Quadrajet...They are good carbs.they just don't flow enough cfms and the air horn design is not as precise or responsive as a holley DP>

Hell I just rebuilt a Quad yesterday but it goes on a 78 chevy truck ...not a real powerhouse. And also,what rear end gears do you have.... None of the Pontiacs have a good enough gear....They mad e a 4.13 but you cant be lucky enough to have one...I think it was in a station wagon. YOu should have the 8.2 inch B or P axle No c-clips....4 bolts YOu probably have a 3.32 or so in teh rear ring gear.. I would say get at least a 3.55 but I always go 3.73 or 4.10.. You get the gear up there with a cam/ head set up like this and it will run

12's no problem....
Reply to
Uncle Dodo