`79 Firebird...what would you do?

Greetings all,

I'm close to putting my `79 Firebird back on the road. It's got a `77

350 4bbl that is only rated at 170hp. Seeing that I drive a `99 TA everyday, I need to get at least 300hp out of it to be happy.

I plan to either build it, or buy a 400 that's built. What would you do?

Reply to
unix-freak

350 Chebby or Pontiac? The 350 Pontiacs are kind of orphans - you either replace with a 350 Chevy or a bigger Pontiac.

What do you want to do with the car? Drag race? Road race? Just cruising? Nitrous?

Good Pontiac V8 blocks are starting to get rare (at least around here...) - what kind of $ are you thinking?

I can concur - once you've driven an LS1 it's hard to enjoy a

70's smogger... torque is cool, but a 4000rpm redline is lame... Although nothing had torque like my old 75 Bird. 350 Pontiac, only a 2 barrel, 2.56 gears.... but wicked burnouts and I would dare say had more low end torque than my Ram Air.

I'm still holding out for a 455 for my TA, but I am building a

80/20 drag/street car out of it.
Reply to
Ray

Maybe your engine is closer to 270 hp. As for asking what someone else would do, first do more research on the existing engine. Personally I would come to your house and slap you for needing 300 hp. :)

pete selby