paint woes

I have a 2000 Firehawk bought in January 2000, and it has a little over 36,000 miles. Thus, it is no longer covered by the factory warranty.
While washing my car, I noticed a paint defect. On the hood, where it
turns down into a 1" lip where it meets the windshield, is a 1" crack in the paint. No body work or paint work has ever been done to the hood, and this is is a very unusual spot.
There is no way I could have realistically done anything to this area of the car without affecting other parts of the hood, so it seems obvious to me that I have a paint defect from the factory. Given my warranty situation, if there any way I can get Pontiac to cover fixing this defect?
Any suggestions will be welcome. I do have an extended warranty, but it does not cover the paint...
Thanks!
Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to reply. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Joe Granto snipped-for-privacy@NoSpam.Com Systems Engineer MCI Architecture and Implementation
You may have opened the hood with the wiper blades in the up position used to clean or replace them. This causes all sorts or nastiness to these models.
Brian

I'd say you're out of luck for getting GM to cover it. There's so many potential causes for that type of thing that it would turn into your word against theirs. Not to mention that even if there was still a factory warrantee in effect it probably wouldn't cover paint because dealers usually have a separate warrantee for paint and it's usually much, much shorter (like a year) and doesn't cover much except flaking/fading, etc. that would be caused by bad paint/painting.
-Rob