2000 Legacy paint defect

I was washing my car today (hand held power washing place) and piece of paint (approx 4.5" square) came right off. I have zero rust on this car. I'm guessing the water blast got under the paint via a tiny rock chip or something. Has anyone had similar paint issues?? Any advice would also be appreciated. Thanks. Scott

Reply to
Scott

It all depends on:

- Pressure from pressure washer

- Distance between car and pressure washer nozzle

- Nozzle output

I washed my car recently to remove some mud and salt and had no problem. My PW is 1350 PSI and min. distance is at least ~40" (1 meter). Also I never use beam like nozzle.

Cheers, Voja

Scott wrote:

Reply to
Voja

Some speculation: What you describe should not happen. Something effected the adhesion layer between topcoat and undercoat. Could be a defect in the paint itself where paint grade (and color) passes UV rays that ruin adhesion. Sun is usually paint's biggest enemy. Could also be manufacturers defect, e.g. oil smudge on undercoat which lead to poor adhesion in that particular spot. If paint continues to peel, you have a paint defect. If not, probably a manufacturing defect. Check with dealer to see if others have reported problem. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Car is five years old. No company will deal with that. Five years is good. I knew a 92 dodge that the paint fell off by staring too hard and a 94 Trooper with like new paint so who knows.

Reply to
jabario

Sometimes a paint line defect will show up and while there will be no recall, manufacturer may help. I keep may cars in garage, do not wash that often, and wax maybe once a year. Paint holds up well. Wife's '92 Nissan paint looks almost new. Sun is paint's worst enemy.

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Thanks for the replies. I'm taking it in today to see what they say. I've posted a pic if anyone wants to see.

Scott

Damn that sux, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Reply to
Sponge