Parked 1 year - how to prep?

I've got a 1994 Camaro 6-cyl. which has been parked for more than a year, with no prep done. The battery was removed about five months ago, but other
than that, it is exactly as it was parked the last time it was driven, in January 2004.
I've got a new battery for it. But what should I do to get it ready to run? And IF it starts now, as is, without any prep, do I risk anything driving it three miles to my mechanic's?
Thanks.
Jim Beaver
start it,,, change the oil refill the gas tank with fresh gas take it easy the first 30 minutes
drive the hell out of it for about 40,000 miles and trade it in

other
run?
it

Actually, you might also want to make sure you put in a litre (quart) of Lucas Oil Stabilizer in that first IMMEDIATE oil change...make the next oil change within a few hundred miles, to be sure that ALL of the crap that may have accumulated in the pan is gone.
The Lucas will change the viscosity of the oil and it'll not only run better, but seems to also take more of the blow-by accumulations out of the oil when you do your oil changes...or it simply runs better and doesn't accumulate as much crap in the oil...either way, it does seem to work quite well. I've been using it in my Camaro, my bike, pappy's cars, for several years now. Good schtuph!
ALSO, you might want to toss in a little fuel stabilizer...probably won't help if the gas is that old, but it certainly can't hurt! A little gas line antifreeze won't hurt either, just in case there's accumulated moisture in the fuel system, as that will make the moisture burn off quicker as the alcohol in the gas line antifreeze absorbs the moisture and allows it to flow WITH the gas, instead of REPLACING the gas...
Anyway, that's my two cents...do what you will. d:^D
I would suggest greasing all the lubrication points. This will squeeze fresh grease into the wear areas. Change the oil, I wouldn't even start it before I did this. Check everything, tire pressure, transmission fluid, coolant, brakes.
If you are only going three miles to your mechanic, I would just change the oil & filter first. Check everything then you could have him grease it for you. After running a few tanks of gas through it have the gas line filter changed. A year could have put some rust in the tank that may clog up the filter.
Zilla

Note: The EASIEST way to know if your fuel filter is plugged with rust or other debris is to punch it on a nice stretch of open highway. If it climbs as usual and starts to bog, or suddenly loses all power after a few seconds, that's a sure sign that your fuel filter's in desperate need of replacement.