Nissan alarm/security system going crazy (horn begins honking when parked)

We think we have the problem solved but offer this to any others who ever have this problem with Nissan autos. We have a 2000 Frontier pickup which we owned since new and never any problems until recently. Security system "installed as part of original package" (we've been told), so is factory installed I guess. PROBLEM BEGAN: While parked on usual spot on driveway, alarm began going off. The clickers would stop it for a time but never completely. Tried key entry, read manual - followed instructions but nothing stopped it completely. Sometimes it would stop on its own, sometimes it would go for an hour with nothing happening, then start up again. Had to remove battery cable to get some peace/quiet before we could get it to the dealer. (By the way, remove the negative cable dealer told us-for this model) THIS PROBLEM DROVE OUR NEIGHBORS AND US CRAZY. The first time it happened, took it back to dealer. He cleaned battery cables, sent us home and it began honking about 2 hrs after we came home. Took it back next day and found the dealership was being sold--so probably didn't get the best assistance we could have. The serviceman said a low battery could cause this, but he checked the battery and pronouced it was fine (even tho I asked specifically if he was sure, maybe had bad cell). He insisted it was fine. He reprogrammed the clickers. Got home and absolutely no change, system still going crazy. Back to dealer and left it overnight and 'they said' it didn't happen there. By then, we really were puzzled. They even had us thinking something in the area was triggering it. Took it back again (4 times from Mon-Fri) but with new service mgr, he checked and said battery appeared good but was losing a slight amt when parked (By the way, not enough to affect electrical system which remained throughout this, in fine shape)He wasn't sure and sent off for 2 new clickers. He had planned to give us a rental car if problem persisted after the weekend. Saturday...we decided to just buy a new battery ourself...even tho the dealer had said ours was good. OUR CAR HASN'T PEEPED SINCE (and that was 5 days ago). Service mgr seems to think it is fixed, but isn't sure. Seems to think that in case it was a short or something, then it could bring the new battery down too. SO WE'LL SEE....personally I think its fixed and they should have suggested we try a new battery IN THE FIRST PLACE. Would have saved us a lot of grief since we live 1 hr from dealer (round trip) and car has been useless for a week.

Reply to
J. Terrana