Air mix door actuator

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer EB. I have just tackled the big air mix door problem that has been troubling my air/heater functions. I think I fixed the problem with the broken plastic piece, but now it doesn't look like my air mix door actuator works. I know it was working before I took it apart, because I could hear it slip against the broken piece. I tested the motor, and it's not burnt up, and it doesn't seem like I'm getting any power to the motor to begin with. The only thing I can think of that could be the problem is the air/heater module. I'm not sure where it's located or what to do from here. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Nate

P.S. Yes, it is plugged back up.

Reply to
Nate

There... now that we've turned off the HTML.... This part is only if you don't have EATC..... There should be (IIRC), five wires going to the actuator.... one power, one ground and three that go to the temp control knob. Checking powers and grounds are self explanatory..... all of the other

3 should have continuity (sorry, can't remember exact resistance values) between each other.

Sorry I can't give wire colours.... laptop is all packed for Ford school next week and I'm way too lazy to unpack it.....

Nate

P.S. Yes, it is plugged back up.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim,

You're right. I put one lead of my Fluke to ground and checked all 5 wires, but showed nothing. I didn't do a continuity check though.

I do have the automatic temp control, if that's what you're talking about. Set a temp and you're good to go.

Here's the scoop. I turn the heat up to 90, and it heats up. I turn on the A/C, it cools down, but when I turn it up to about 70 (not too hot, not too cold), it blows out hot air out of the vents for a while.

Thanks again for all the help Jim. You've helped me out before, and if I'm calculating it right, you've saved me about $2000 in repair costs. You're a lifesaver. Thanks man. Later.

Nate

Reply to
Nate

You can just drop the cheque in the mail, Nate 8^)....

Just as a double check..... somewhere on the dash, there will be a small grille - look close, they can blend in. This will be hooked up with a tube going to the heater plenum and also have a couple of wires going to it. If you've inadvertantly dislodged the hose, your EATC can't get an accurate idea of the cabin air temp. '98s are a little long in the tooth for our shop - affluent town with a LOT of less than three old vehicles that keep us too busy for the older stuff so I'm going from some fairly old memories.

Many times, any new troubles after a repair are the result of a missed step..... dislodged hoses and connectors, overlooked ground connection.. that sort of thing (been there, done that, got a few tee-shirts). This would be my first inclination rather than looking for a new problem straight up.

HTH

Jim Warman

I'll take a look at that. Once again, Thanks. The check is in the mail. Ha ha.

Reply to
Nate

Jim,

I took a look under the dash but couldn't find a grille. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot or I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Instead of bothering you with this, I'll see how it pans out for a while and go from there. Thanks again Jim. Take care.

Nate

Reply to
Nate

Sorry, I should have been a little more explicit.... the little grille should be in the face of the panel.... usually somewhere close to the cubbyhole or radio (actually, just a little pattern of holes to allow air to pass through). Air passing through the heater plenum draws cabin air through the grille, across a thermistor (the temp sensor) and through the tube (i've seen some newer dodge products using a small electric fan for this purpose). I forgot to mention that these can sometimes grow fur coats much like the MAF can.

Good luck, all the same.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warman