Auto 4x4 on 2002 Ford Explorer

I have a 2002 Explorer, when I push the 4x4 high or 4x4 low button, and turn the wheel left, it feels like the tranny is engaging and disengaging. So it kind of jumps. It only does this when torque is applied. It is fine when coasting or going straight or right. Our Explorer has 35,000 miles and we are the second owner (Ford Certified Pre-Owned) Is the drivetrain shot? 2x4 is fine; no noise at all. We only use 4x4 for the snow we get in MD. I just wanted an expert opinion before I go to the dealer. Thanks. Dennis

Reply to
magnum54o2

What you're feeling is actually normal, since there's a direct mechanical connection in both full-time 4x4 modes.

But 4x4 high and 4x4 low are meant to be used only in slippery conditions, so that the driveline does not bind.

From the owner's manual:

"The 4x4 High mode provides four-wheel drive with full power to both axles. It is only intended for severe winter or off-road conditions, such as deep snow and ice (where no dry or wet pavement remains uncovered), and shallow sand."

In other words, don't use it on uncovered pavement, or you may damage the drivetrain.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

If you are getting this in snow, you may have a problem with the left front drive axle joints.

Reply to
Bill Funk