Crankshaft Pulley Removal '92 4.0

So, how do I remove the crankshaft pulley from my 4.0 '92? How do I keep the pulley from turning while trying to remove the screw? Is the screw standard thread (counterclockwise to remove)?

I modified a strap wrench to hold the pulley but I'm afraid of snapping off the bolt at this point.

Hayne's gives directions on how to remove the fan clutch, part numbers for special tools, and even which direction to turn the nut. But for the crankshaft pulley it only says "remove the crankshaft pulley."

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

Captian Coleman

Works quite well for anything.... the crank always turns in a direction that will tighten the bolt.

Word to the wise..... this method can make it so you can't count to ten any more or it can make a green puddle in your driveway..... watch what your doing very closely...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I used this method to remove wheel bearing nuts on a VW Bug in the past, but that was putting the wrench on the ground and driving forward to loosen the nut.

My woodworking experience tells me that screws and nuts that hold pulleys (and saw blades) are generally threaded to tighten while in operation. The idea did occur to me but, as Jim points out, I like to be able to count all of my water pump screws without using my toes ;-).

I do, however, just happen to have another Explorer parked next to this one to confirm which way the crank turns but I have not quite gotten to that point yet.

Meanwhile, can anyone confirm that it unscrews counterclockwise?

Reply to
Ulysses

Thanks Captian (Captain?)

I verified that it will indeed turn in the correct direction to unscrew it with this technique. I think, however, that I will save this method for my last resort.

Reply to
Ulysses

I have done this on my 95 taurus SHO. Very scary the first time. Just be real real sure things turn the "correct" direction, use a 6 point socket and make sure the breaker bar is resting where it can not harm anything else and just tap the starter motor. I recommeng using a remote starter switch so there is NO chance of the thing firing off. You will be amazed-it works! r/Jerry

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

Sounds like it ought to do the trick all right but I have a few reservations. I need, for one thing, to use a short extension on the socket that I currently have. I think it would probably slip sideways and round off the bolt head. So before I try it I think I'd better get a deep 6 point socket like you said.

Meanwhile I'm going to remove the torque converter access plate and see if I can hold the flywheel in place somehow while unscrewing the pulley bolt.

Someone else suggested using an impact wrench but I'm having a little trouble imagining getting the wrench and a hammer in that small space. Maybe he meant some kind of air wrench.

Reply to
Ulysses

For posterity, here's what I did.

I removed the starter motor and wedged a combo end wrench between the flywheel and the case with the open end against the flywheel and a screwdriver holding the wrench in place through the box end.

This held the flywheel well enough to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt. Now it's a simple matter to replace the flywheel. ;-)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. If this hadn't worked I would have tried the "crank the starter lose your fingers and leave a green puddle on the floor" method.

ref: explorer remove crankshaft pulley crankshaft pulley removal explorer

Reply to
Ulysses

If you have a compressor (and enough room in front of the pulley), an impact wrench works like a charm.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Thanks. I think I'll see about getting one of those.

Reply to
Ulysses

If you take the plunge on a compressor and air tools..... while "oil-less" compressors are generally less expensive than oiled types, the oil-less don't seem to last as long (my experience) and the noise is enough to wake the dead...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Actually I already have two compressors and many air tools, but they are mainly for woodworking--but you could probably tell I was a woodworker from all of my stupid questions on this newsgroup ;-)

I have an old El Cheapo air rachet somewhere but the last time I tried to use it it didn't go around. Do impact wrenches have torque settings on them or do you still need a seperate torque wrench?

Reply to
Ulysses