rough idling

I have a 2000 V8 Explorer. All of a sudden today, the 'check engine light' came on and it is idling rough. I have also noticed a decrease in acceleration and there is a gassy/oil smell when I get out of the car.

Any ideas as to what is wrong. It only has 60k miles.

Thanks

Reply to
Marc Chumney

Have your Exp. checked out with a OBDII tester,(don't know what area your in, but here at AUTO ZONE, they do it for free). Maybe the MAF (mass air flow sensor).

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Actually, it's even more likely that it is something simple like a bad plug wire or spark plug gone TU.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

This is where the code reader comes in tops.... If the cause is a bad COP unit or plug, the misfire monitor should point to the cylinder. Additionally there may be a code(s) that wont set the CEL that may help point the way.

Whenever I get a running or driveability problem, the first tool I usually reach for is the scan tool. Downside... bargain store code readers can often lead the unwary astray. Full function scan tools are the best bet.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. After talking with my mechanic, it turned out to be a bad spark plug and wires.

The bad news is that this car also had a bunch of other problems with it. The previous owner did not take good care of it at all. Shame. The good news is that the local Ford dealership where I live was had a bunch of 2004 Explorers on sale. I was able to trade my 2000 in on a new 2004 Eddie Baurer and received $9500 in rebates.

Reply to
Marc Chumney

Wow. It sounds like the service department should get the commission on that sale... What was so wrong with your 2000 explorer that it needed to be replaced?

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W