I A C questions ?

Hello, I am having problems with my 2000 Explorer Limited AWD V8 starting and sometimes after I get it started it wanting to stall out.... also when acting up this way it doesn't want to idle and I can rev it so it will stay running. It will turn over with all systems doing fine but won't start , sometimes I can punch the gas and it will start but I cannot say weather doing that helped or it would have started anyway. Well... This is sounding like the IAC valve and throttle body needs cleaning to me does it to you ?

Is there more to r&r the IAC than meets the eye because I have got a ~$200 est. from local ford dealer.......also a local mech shop said ~$100 that to replace it takes 15 mins plus the part cost.....if it only requires removing the part and replacing I would like to attempt that myself but a few years back I quit doing much work on vehicles ....but wouldn't mind getting the satisfaction of fixing again.

so local mech shop says that the IAC won't prevent it from starting only cause it to stall out once started?? ---is that correct?

Oh BTW, Local shop read the codes after I was in the mountains on the July

4th holiday and the check engine light came on for 5 days but before I got it to him it cleared after one morning starting it seemed like all the sudden the idle and all straightened out..... the local shop code reader said some things about possibilities but nothing conclusive....he also swapped the relay on the engine fender for the starting with the blower one as he said sometimes the contacts get pitted in attempt to troubleshoot....... it ran good for a week or two then it has started acting up again. It always does it after sitting a long while, such as overnight, also it now will sometimes want to stall out when I am driving down road which it didn't do before.

Sorry fort the long post but I am trying to give background info to the problem.

I have had the spark plugs changed in the last year. I also suspect the MAF sensor but I have never attempted to clean it.....would that item be involved in this problem too?

thanks for reading, please advise. Bill V.

Reply to
Bill V

I had the same problems you had on my 96 Explorer (starting problems, stalling). Replaced the IAC myself (a *5* minute job on my truck) and it fixed the starting problem, still have the stalling problem occasionally.

My IAC was about $40 but I know at the time there was another one that was about $100 (different engine?).

At least on a 96 Explorer if you have the skills to get the hood open you can replace the IAC.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Holcomb

thanks for the reply.. I was thinking that I wrote too much in my post for anyone to read it and reply back, so thanks again for the experience tip you gave me. I am thinking of getting one at the ford dealership and installing it and while it is off trying to clean the throttle body and the MAF. regards, Bill V.

Reply to
Bill V

I bought some CRC throttle cleaner and took the IAC off and cleaned it . I have not had any trouble since then about 2 weeks ago.... So I will wait and watch . Bil V.

Reply to
Bill V