KOEO 542

Hello all, I have 1995 XLT, manual transmission, 130,000 miles. My son took it to work and everything was fine. When he went to leave work, it would not start. It cranks fine, but will not start. I suspected it was a fuel supply problem because I did not hear the fuel pump when I turned the key to the on position. When I got it towed home, the tow truck driver squirted some engin starter fluid in the intake and it started and ran for a moment. This morning I pulled the KOEO codes and got a 542, fuel pump circuit open-PCM to motor ground and a 113,IAT sensor circuit above max voltage. I also tried grounding the fuel pump enable pin at the data link connector, fuel pump does not run. I think I need to start with the KOEO 542. Can some one elaborate on the description? Should I be looking at the wiring between the fuel pump and it's grounding point? Or could it be the fuel pump itself? Thanks.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

One of the "cave man" tests...... Have an assistant turn the key to the run position and immediately give the tank a wallop with a rubber mallet... if you can now hear the pump run, simply replace it... if the pump still doesn't run, proceed with normal diagnostics...

Reply to
<mechanic