speedometer erratic when cold....

94 XLT 4x4, auto, 122k miles Just curious why my speedometer goes nuts in the cold after all these years? Old age, maybe?? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance! dan

Reply to
freeman, daniel l.

The first thing I'd do would be to pull the cable out of the speedo cable tube and clean and grease it. Every car I've had with a "nutz" speedo has been cured by that. When it's cold the cable binds in the sheath and winds up and then releases making the needle jump erratically. As you drive it the friction warms up the cable inside and softens the old, hard grease and it smooths out till it cools off.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Reply to
freeman, daniel l.