Tires for '03 Mountaineer (Explorer)

My '03 Mountaineer is going to need it's 3rd set of tires soon...probably at about 45,000 miles or maybe 48,000. They came with the Goodrich tires (lasted 23000 miles) and I replaced them with the same. Here in tough, hilly (stop hard and start hard) city driving of Pittsburgh 23000 isn't bad but

30,000 would be closer to average. I got 50,000 out of a set of Michelin LC XT4 (Sears/NTB version) tires on my old 1999 Explorer. That experience made me realize that cost-per-mile the Michelins were probably slightly cheaper, even though the cost per tire was about double (you save the labor and nusance fees for 1 cycle as you twice as long between cycles).

So I was at NTB again today for something else and was looking at tires. I noticed that there are TWO versions of Michelins for SUVs...the "Cross-Terrain" (which I think I also saw on some new Mountaineers on the dealer lot) and the LTX-MS. They no longer carry the LC XT4 tire because that was a Sears version and NTB got sold by Sears. I seem to recall, however, that LTX-MS and LC XT4 were essentially the same tire.

So my obvious question is: What's the difference (ride, longevity, price, other) between the two Michelins? And are both available in my size (standard 17 inch somethingorother Mountaineer factory wheels)?

Any other tire suggestions would be appreciated too. I am figuring on keeping the vehicle another 50,000 (unless I get the itch).

Reply to
D.D. Pallmer

Can't say a word about the LTX, but have now put 58,000 miles on my set of Cross-Terrains. Handling is good, wet and snow traction is excellent, road noise is so-so. Modern tires are typically not tread wear limited, but ignoring that for a moment, there seem to be about 15,000 miles still left in mine. And by the way, 1-1/2 year ago I moved to a fairly steep area.

Happy Traveler

My personal experience is with the LTX M/S (or should I say my preference). Very good tread life, the tread self cleans very well i snow and mud. They are more than quiet enough on my SuperCrew and were just as good (as I recall) on my 93 SuperCab...

Either is likely a very good choice...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for the recommendation. I am still curious about the DIFFERENCE that no one here explained.

Reply to
D.D. Pallmer

Try here for Michelin differences:

http://www.michel> Thanks for the recommendation. I am still curious about the DIFFERENCE that

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Good stuff!

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Reply to
Big Shoe

I bought my Cross Terrains from Costco... they are not a special "Costco" designated tire. They were the warranty replacement tires declared by Ford for Explorers after the Bridgestone fiasco. The X-Terrains were much quieter than the previous Dunlop Radial Rovers on my truck. Look for the $60 off sale on the purchase of four tires they have every couple of months. Costco has a great warranty.

------------------------------------------------------------ reply address bot resistant and human safe

SmartyPants