Transfer Case Drain Plug

I have 96 Explorer 4.0L 4wd Control Trac. I removed the transfer case drain pug and I noticed something like teflon paste on the threads. The Chiltons manual doesn't mention anything like it in the drain/refill procedure. Do I need to be concerned with this? tia

Reply to
Spud Unger

Sounds like teflon plumbers tape, the modern pipe dope. I wouldn't think it's necessary, the transfer case isn't under a lot of pressure like a water pipe is. But it wouldn't hurt to use it, I guess...

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

This stuff is applied at the factory as added insurance against unseemly leaks on a brand new vehicle.

The reasoning..... these units are not assembled in the same building (or possibly even in the same state/province/country) as the truck. The units are filled with lubricant at the time of manufacture and all the external opeings are plugged well enough to avoid ANY possible leaks. We have no idea of the juxtaposition of these subassemblies during shipping or storage. A little thread sealant on the threads will ensure no unsightly blemishes.

It certainly can't hurt to use a thread sealant on the plug when it is reinstalled.... there is, however, no requirement for it and properly tightening the plug (after cleaning the old thread sealer off), should give a leak free installation.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Spud Unger