Washboard effect?

I'm pretty new to this newsgroup and I saw a previous post about something about a washboard effect. It was for the 2002-2004 model year transmissions. I was wondering what the washboard effect is, could someone explain it to me. I too have a 2003 explorer 4.0 V6, so I was wondering what it was. Thanks for the replies. George

Reply to
George K.

The washboard effect that I can think of is when driving on a weathered dirt you feel like your driving over an old washboard, Causing extreme vibration.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Is the car doing something odd??? I've been around long enough to know that "Munchausen by proxy" can extend to inanimate objects......

transmissions.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
George K.

Only thing that comes to mind might be brake pulsation (warped or out of parallel rotors)..... been doing this for many years and this is a new term to me - course, I always figure a day without learning at least one new thing is a wasted day...

Reply to
Jim Warman

The term 'washboard effect' has been used on another group to describe the vibration caused by torque converter shudder. Common wisdom claims that the TCC in the 4R70W transmission (not the case for a V6) is prone to this, and the problem is easily cured by changing fluid.

Something akin to this just happened to my '98 V8. Noticeable vibration at about 45MPH. Goes away when I switch the O/D off, engine idles smoothly, MIL off, no stored DTC's. Must be the dreaded torque converter shudder, I figured. The transmission fluid had over 20,000 miles and was already discolored, so I bought a case of Mercon V and put it all in (yes, I did drain the old stuff first), hoping for this 'standard cure' to work. The only effect was a very slippery garage floor... Finally, the little orange light started flashing, and a code for cylinder #8 misfire was stored. Yep, another ignition wire gone south, not that long after installing a whole new set (which came from the pretty orange $100 OEM box, not some aftermarket cheapie). What puzzles me in this story is why the original ignition wires in my '85 LTD are still in perfect shape after 20 years and 200,000 miles. Lower voltage? Unlikely, as the LTD plugs are gapped the same as in the Expy. Perhaps the ignition wires just do this to show sympathy for the disappearing display in the fancy MACH radio? Or are they programmed to fail soon after the DPFE goes? Go figure...

Reply to
Happy Traveler